Pokémon Power! [Knife x Microphone]

It's down to the wire, and Knife refuses to lose.

This is another of the fangled little stories I wrote for FaronTerry back in 2017, alongside Dad Jokes! I'm not proud of it, but it was quick. Knife and his daughter Melody are hanging out  in it! I can't remember what object Melody is (maybe a boombox?), but I hope you find some value in this relic. ^ ^

⁂⁂⁂

"Uhhh, guys?"

"Not now," Melody said through gritted teeth.

It was down to Delphox and Poliwrath, each with a type advantage and a disadvantage over the other. Delphox was way faster, but Poliwrath was more defensive, meaning there was a chance it could survive whatever Delphox could throw and then some. Alternatively, Delphox' huge attack stat could end the battle.

Melody tapped the stylus to her chin thoughtfully, glaring at the screen. Knife had already tapped the option on his DS and was laying back, his hands folded behind his head.

"...You two take your Pokémon so seriously." Mic sighed and crossed her arms. "Well, just know breakfast's ready when you are. It's toast." Mic left the room and left the bedroom door cracked open.

Melody thought, strained, for moments longer - Psychic or Hypnosis, Psychic or Hypnosis? - then selected her move. The two glared to one another with the understanding that the next move will be the end of a battle well-fought - and they grinned. The game loaded, panning over the Pokémon as it worked out its algorithms.

Suddenly it all froze. A flashing red battery light turned Knife's system off, leaving an error message to crop up on Melody's.

Both sat with their jaws agape, disbelieving. Melody's temper threatened to come out full-force as she took a deep breath and got ready to yell.

Knife chuckled. "No need to go shouting about it, Mel. It was close."

"But- But we don't know who won!"

"I'm proud to've raised a daughter who has good taste in video games," he said, giving her a quick hug around the shoulders. "Nobody else can put up a fight with me quite like you can. We'll see who wins for the day later, and tomorrow, the other will win. It'll always be a challenge with the two of us."

Melody grins as well. "Well put. Okay, dad, you're on. Now let's go eat Mom's burnt toast!"