Chapter 19

Annabelle

I turned on my bed as my mind wandered to Logan downstairs, the shock on his face at Aunt Valerie's attitude was something an artist could get a medal, if properly drawn.

I rest my head on my pillow, my heart pleading for sleep, but rather the image of Logan laying with his hands behind his head flashed through my head.

Fuck.

Reluctantly, I stood, picked my pillow and quietly headed downstairs. His hands were still behind his head with his eyes closed, but he took my advice and covered his body with the blanket.

I tapped his shoulders and his eyes flew open. "You need this more than I do."

"I'm ok, thanks."

"I'm not going to be the reason why you wake up with some neck problem, so take this," I commanded placing the pillow on his face.

Annoyed by my selflessness, I turned back, ready to go continue  my hunt for sleep.

"Thank you."

I stopped on my tracks, while my brain processed what I head. "Did you jus-"

"Go to bed Annabelle," he said, his voice low.

"It's just, did you just-"

"Annabelle, go to bed," He commanded, cutting me short a second time.

I sighed heavily and took the stairs slowly. I was sure I heard him say the 'T' word, which was unlike Logan, he always wore his pride like his lovely expensive coats, especially when close to me.

***

I took the stairs to see Aunt Valeria in the kitchen wearing a frown, the sofa was empty with my shirt and the blanket well folded and placed on its handle.

"Buenos dias tía," I said, moving to her side.

"Good morning Belle," She replied, picking up a kitchen towel.

She wiped the counter and looked up still wearing the frown. "Did he tell you he was leaving?"

I shook my head. "I think you drove him away."

"Por qué piensas eso?"

"You threw yourself on his car, that's scary," I said eyeing her. She needed to understood, what she did was dangerous.

Her brown eyes lit up as a smile crawled on her lips. "It was fun and I loved his facial expression."

I shook my head and smiled, she was really proud of herself. "I'm sure he is scared of you."

"He should be, I rule the world," She said, dramatically waving the towel in her hands.

"Well, he told me he was leaving,"  she continued taking out her egg muffins from the oven.

"He did?"

"Yes, but leaving without seeing you was wrong, don't you think?"

"Nah, it's fine Tía."

She placed two pieces of the egg muffin on a plate and moved it to me. "Finish up Belle, your mum will be excited to see you."

I picked a piece, welcoming the glorious flavour of the muffin and the comfortability of not eating with a fork or knife.

***

"How is she?"

"She's fine Annabelle, your mum is a strong woman," Doctor Kate said with a smile and walked out.