Chapter 58

Logan.

Knowing it could only be Aaron, I felt my heart swell with joy as the sound of drawn curtains drew me from the hollow of sleep, but I refused the tempting urge to open my lids.

Ever since last night, only the doctor was allowed in. Thus, I was left with no guest to answer the millions of questions that emerged with confused emotions as my thoughts rendered me sleepless until the early hours of the morning which blessed me with sleep, accompanied by curses of nightmares all leading to the questions that needed answers.

"Aaron," I called, with still sealed lids. "What happened to her?"

"It was never meant to be that way."

Slowly, I opened my eyes, letting them drill holes on his face as he crossed the room in his perfectly tailored blue suit. He was my least expected guest.

But still...

It was obvious he knew more than any in the castle.

"You brought her in... I hope you got all the satisfaction you craved?" I said, with all my attention focused on Leo.

"I was going to ask the same." Despite being properly dressed and composed enough to hide his feelings, I noticed the dark spot underneath his eyes as he took his seat beside me.

"Funny."

"Funny indeed. Especially knowing the truth before the world gets to realize there is a truth to be known..." His voice was deep, so were his eyes as there watched me with vigour. "It's funny but I've never laughed about it. At least, not like we did as teenagers. Do you remember?"

Of course, I did, I remembered the sound of his boyish laughter, his grin that was wider than my hands when spread. But I let the memories go as I recalled we were never to be that way again. "Yes, I do, before you broke everything. Do you also remember?"

His lips untangled in a smile as he crossed his legs and exhaled deeply. "It's just hard...When we made the plans we never thought you will fall so easily. You were taught everything from a tender age and raised with the best. I meant Aaron," He paused while I stared confused by his words that had no connection to my predicament.

Back as a boy, I was fascinated by all rules of my forefathers but soon after the incident with Karia, I lost that interest, not until weeks back. But still, his words made no sense.

"Grandma, your mum and I had it planned though her Majesty forced Aaron to partake in this I still don't know how you could fall into such a trap."

Now interested by his mention of Aaron, I sat straight and said dryly trying to conceal my already caught attention, "Stop the parable and stick to the point. Because I need you out."

Nodding, he moved back to the window and watched the view for seconds that felt like hours as my heart raced with bitter anticipation. "Everything is a lie. You can't lose your throne, it's yours to keep as long as you want it," he said, his eyes still out the window.

Waves of air and the slow rotation of earth halted as I tried interpreting his words. "How?"

"Your hatred was at its peak that I guess you couldn't think. Grandma wanted you married before she died. Her Majesty wanted you settled. So we plotted though scared you would find out. It's ju-"

"This is all fake?" I said, feeling an ache around my body from his revelation. "She knew Anna was fake?"

"No...they had no idea of your lover, neither did she know about Eva just what you did told her," he said, his blue eyes resting on me. "It was the first time I saw her quite excited, your mum and of course grandma."