chapter 31

Annabelle

The girls cheered and matched out of the room with Gemma steering the movement to the field. After our little awkward introduction, Gemma took over, reminding the girls the primacy of winning the game which to most of them was the gift from the prince, but from the authoritative posture of the little redhead, I knew it meant more to her.

I followed behind, changed from my dress to the blue sporting trouser and shirt I got from the Philippa. But I came to an immediate stop and mentally face-palmed myself as my eyes glued to Logan's who stood beside the directress surrounded by the girls.

How did I think I could get past him?

It was cruel how fate worked and from his stolid face, I knew his words would be hard. He excused himself and moved to where I stood with slow majestical steps.

"I recalled saying no to this."

"Oh c'mon," I said, shifting from one foot to another, praying he had a change of mind or at least let me be.

"The kids are waiting." I looked past him to Gemma who gazed back with a sad smile as they moved down the hallway with the directress.

"I don't want to hear of this Belle go change up."

I closed my eyes and sighed, it was useless arguing with him in public. "Ok."

I let loose my hair from its ponytail and turned to go change when his words resounded in my ears. "Did you just call me Belle?"

***

I sat beside him watching the kids dribbling and running for the ball which never left the foot of the boys.

It would have been fun playing or screaming like the other fans, but I had to seat like a stiff wood in a secluded area of the field, besides Logan who was engrossed in a conversation with Philippa.

***

After Logan gave the gift to both the losing team and the winners, I sat beside Gemma who wouldn't step back into the building.

The girls lost by 4-0 and the captain took it all on her self despite the fact her fellow players left with smiles.

"They always win," she said, after minutes of staring into empty space.

"I'm sorry about that," I replied consoling the kid whose face was red with disappointment.

"It hurts to never win a game." She turned to me and I bobbled in understanding.

Placing myself in her shoe's, I knew I would react more, maybe tier the ball with a knife or cry my eyes out. I never was one to take losing softly and not even a mail boat of special sweet could stop the storms of tears when I lost a family game back as a kid.

"Maybe its because you played against the boys, you were pretty good out there," I said. In reality, she was the only potential player among the girls, it was one girl against eleven boys. The others ran haphazardly around the field, sometimes passing the ball to the opposite team which was quite depressing.

"I know, I really love playing." she sniffed her nose and covered her face with both palms.

"Are you crying? you don't have to cry," I said. I was lost on ways to console the little girl who's sniffing grew louder.

Biting my lips, I rubbed my hands down her hair mummering unreasonable words and wishing I had a box of tissue to render.

Seconds later, she lifted her head and wiped her eyes. "I'm authoritative but I hate losing. Why did you not play? "