1 ~ Nothing Good

IT'S MAY 8TH, 2021!!

A year ago today, I uploaded my very first story: A New Friend. Now a whole 365 days later, it's the beginning of a new one😁
(I actually originally wanted this to be a part of A New Friend but wasn't sure how it would fit in with the story.)

Also, I wrote this before I really got into 3rd POV, so bear with me on how cringy it is😅

Started: June 17, 2020
Finished: June 19, 2020

🚩Ricky's parents have been divorced for a year.

🍪🍪🍪

Ricky
"See you later, bubs," Nini said as she was getting out of my car.

"Bye, I love you!" I shouted before she shut the door.

"Love you!" she screams. Damn, it feels good to hear and say that.

These past few weeks have been going great. Nini and I haven't left each other's sides for a long amount of time. It was always wake up, text her, do something with her. Both of us were enjoying this so much; we were in complete bliss. I drove home with a smile stuck to my face the whole time. That girl will be the death of me.

That smile doesn't last long. I get in my house and am shocked. "Mom?" I practically whisper.

"Ricky! Oh, it's so good to see you," she said, hugging me, "I'm sorry for coming unannounced, but Todd and I have news that could not be told over the phone." She was grinning from ear to ear.

"What is it? Where's Dad?" I ask.

"Right here, Ricky," he said, coming around the corner.

"Ok, what's the big deal?" I asked.

"Well," Mom started, getting closer to Todd, "Todd and I are getting married!" I look at my dad and see his face also drop; he clearly had no clue either. I stood there silent, not sure what to do. "Here, Ricky." She handed me a very formal black and gold card. "Technically you don't need an invitation as we are family, but I thought you should still have one."

"You're getting married," I whispered, looking at the card. Of course, when my life's going great, something just has to ruin it. Nothing good ever happens when she's here.

"Yeah, what do you think?" she asked.

"Lynne, maybe give him a minute. This is a lot to take in," Todd said.

"Ok, but that's not all," she says.

I look up and raise an eyebrow. "What else?" I say.

"I'm pregnant," she says, happily. I felt like I was gonna pass out. Sure, she's been with Todd for a long time now, but something didn't sit right with me.

"You're what?" Dad asks, hands dropping to his sides.

"Isn't it great, Ricky!? You're gonna be a big brother! We found out a few weeks ago, so we don't know the gender yet. We haven't actually thought of names yet," she laughed.

"Lynne, please. Just give him a moment to process all this. Ricky, are you ok?" Dad asked.

"Uh... yeah. I'll, um, be up in my room." I quickly go up the stairs and try not to slam the door. I flop on my bed and stare at the invitation. My mom's getting married. I didn't know how to feel. I should be happy, but I'm more conflicted. Not only that but pregnant?! I didn't know what to say. As I'm staring at the card, I'm brought out of my thoughts by screams.