4 ~ Our What?! ~ 2

Part 2 of Where is She?

I was cringing so much when I was editing because I haven't looked back at this in a long time and was debating on whether or not to rewrite it because of all the POV changes. I didn't because that sounded like a lot more work.

Apologies ahead of time.

Started: July 17, 2020, at midnight
Finished: August 16, 2020

🍪🍪🍪

Previously:
"And what I'm about to do is because I love you and Emma."

"Ricky, what's going through your head?" she asks him suspiciously.

"This." Before Nini can even process what's happening, Ricky starts running into their burning house.

***

Ricky
I dart towards the house despite hearing my name being called. I ignore all the shouting and go through the front door. It's so smoky that my eyes start watering. I take my jacket off and tie it around my nose and mouth. I duck out of the way of a ceiling beam that came crashing down, blocking the front door. Well, there goes my exit. "Emma!!" I call through the house. No response.

I ran up the stairs into her room. "Emma?!" Still no answer. I go to her closet and start moving boxes of toys out of the way. When Nini and I were looking at this house, we found a small door in this closet that just led to an even smaller closet. Emma would always go in here for hide and seek, so I hope that's where she is now. Judging from the fact that the boxes are in the way, I'd say the fire department didn't check every room.

"Emma?" I say once all the boxes have been moved. It's getting harder to breathe; I can only imagine what it's like in this little room.

"Daddy?" I hear once I get the door open.

"Emma, we need to get out of here. Now!" I take my jacket off my face and tie it around her head instead.

I pick her up and crawl out of the small space. "What were you doing in there?" I ask her.

"I saw people I didn't know take lolas out of the house, so I hid in here." She's really taking stranger danger to a whole new level.

I quickly run down the stairs and see the only available door leads to the patio. As I'm getting closer, another beam comes crashing down. "Shi- shoot." I think for like three seconds before another possibly stupid idea comes to mind. I'm just full of those.

"Ok, Emma," I say, putting her down. "When I lift this, I want you to run around to the front yard and find Mommy, ok?" She nods, and I go over to the beam that fell. It's smaller than the one at the front door, so it's our only option. "Ready, Em?" She nods, and I can see she's scared. I bend down to her height. "You'll be ok as long as you go straight to the front of the house. Understand?"

"Ok, Daddy. I love you." I quickly give her a tight hug.

"I love you too, Emma. I'll be right behind you." I turn around and stand close to the flaming support beam. I quickly put my hands underneath it and immediately felt my skin burning. I lift it as high as it will possibly go. "Go, Emma! Now!" I scream.

I watch as she runs underneath and opens the back door. I don't drop the beam until I see her run past the window. Once I let go, I see my hands are bright red. I can feel the back of my shirt on fire. I look around and can't find a way out. At least I know Emma got out.

Nini
I'm crying on my moms' shoulders when someone taps my back and scares me. "Who in the-" I was completely shocked.

"Hey, bestie, long time no see." It was Kourtney.