CHAPTER 2

"MISS, are you okay? Do you need help?"

I just stared at him, waiting for the right words to come out of my mouth. Bakit hindi ako makasagot?

"U-u-uhmm o-kay lang ako, heh-he." I stammered.

NATALIA GET A GRIP OF YOUR SELF! 

I scolded myself in my mind. Simpleng tanong hindi ko masagot, ano ba 'yan.

He started to pick up the other books I fell, I quickly grabbed it from his hands.

"Ako na, thanks." I got up and I smiled awkwardly.

"No problem." He assured as he smiled, "Do you live around here? I can walk you home, uulan ata oh." He said that as he looks up towards the sky.

Ang ganda naman ng ngiti nya.

He turned his head at me and said, "Sure ka na okay ka lang talaga?" That question made me realize that I was lowkey checking him out. "Your knee is badly scratched from the fall." He pointed to my knee, concerned.

Stop staring at him, kelan ba ako naging ganito? Nakakahiya.

"It's okay, I can manage." I replied assuring him not to come along anymore, tsaka, nakakahiya after what happened to me.

"Alright then, Dwayne Rivera by the way, DJ nalang, it's my nickname" He led out his hand and smiled. "Natalia Shay Montenegro, Natalia nalang hehe..." I introduced back and led out my hand to shake his.

I looked down to see my hand, our hands to be exact, I think he noticed that and he let go first. "Alright then, see you around!" He waved. I just nodded as I smiled, then I walked away.

After a few steps away, I heard his phone rang.

"Oo bro, okay na." He said, "wala yun, ako pa? Haha!"

Hindi ko na narinig yung iba kasi nakalayo na ako. But, I think he was talking to his friend on another line.

As I was walking, lumiko ako sa route papuntang 7/11, malapit-lapit lang naman na sa bahay, ibibili ko si Mom ng siopao pang-meryenda. I stopped for a while nang makita ko yung bagong restaurant na sinasabi ni Alina, it was right across the street from where I was, at the top of the restaurant, the sign says, 'CHICKEN & DRINKS'. At the front, the wall was made out of bricks and a quarter of it, which is in the middle was made out of glass , which means you could see the people inside and the crews who were serving people's orders.

I saw Alina, Jane and the other girls laughing while they're eating, they were probably enjoying devouring the food right infront of them.

"Parang walang nangyari kanina ah." I whispered to myself as I looked at Alina, drinking a bottle of soju.

Umalis na ako kaagad, baka makita pa nila ako, pumasok nalang ako sa 7/11 para bumili ng siopao ni Mom then I went straight home.

**

"Mom! Andito na ako!" I called out as I enter the house. I removed my shoes and placed them on the shoe rack tsaka dumeretso na ako sa kwarto. Nagpalit muna ako ng damit tapos dadalhin ko na yung siopao na binili ko kay Mom.

"Mama?" I knocked on the door to my parents' room. I didn't hear a reply so I went in. Nagulat nalang ako sa nakita ko.

"MOM!" I screamed, nakahandusay siya sa lapag, wala siyang malay. Nabagsak ko yung dala ko.