Flower Vase: Chapter 1

Splash.

Gu Yan had soaked in the icy water for too long, when he broke the surface, he only felt waves of dizziness, even the sound of the director yelling "cut" seemed unusually far away, sounding slurred and unreal to him.

The new assistant, Xiao Chen(1), rushed over holding a large towel; he wrapped the towel around Gu Yan's wet body as he excitedly yelled, "Yan Ge(2), Director He said this take passed."

That voice was much too loud, its reverberations made his eardrums ache.

Gu Yan narrowed his eyes, and quietly "hmm"ed in reply, a faintly nasal tone was carried in his throat. His head full of black hair had already been completely soaked, droplets of water rolled down his alabaster cheeks. Under the bright studio lighting, his whole face glittered, as if glowing from an internal light, he was heartbreakingly beautiful.

In truth, Gu Yan's appearance wasn't at all girly. But the mix of his pitch-black eyes, straight nose, and delicate features could only be described with the word "pretty".

With such beauty in front of one's eyes, who couldn't help but fall in love?

Even the director forgot about his dreadful acting from earlier and hurriedly called for someone to pull him out of the water, appeasing him with a few appropriate words of reassurance.

Gu Yan was his usual, quiet self, after he'd made sure his part was completed for the day, he said goodbye to the director, then headed towards the lounge with the large towel around him.

Xiao Chen hurriedly followed after him with his incessant chatter. "Yan Ge, Director He had a really ugly look on his face just now, I really thought he'd throw a fit...but since you were in the water for so long, won't you get sick? You better take a hot shower when you get back, or else..."

Gu Yan ignored his prattling, and leisurely changed his clothes, toweling his hair as he packed his stuff up, then he took a glance at the entertainment magazine he'd indifferently picked up from the table.

Nowadays, magazines were making up more and more ridiculous gossip for the sake of selling subscriptions. The last issue said that some actor had a kid out of wedlock who was in high school. The issue this time claimed that some actress was making frequent public appearances lately, and was becoming the new IT girl; it was suspected that she was the new sweetheart of some high-level executive of a management agency. The vivid descriptions, paired with some blurry paparazzi shots, really made the whole thing seem real.

New, sweetheart?

Gu Yan's eye twitched, and he hurriedly pressed his hand on his eyelid, he tossed the magazine back to its former place. He said to Xiao Chen, "I've got something going on later, so I'll be leaving first, go back to the company by yourself."

"Yes, yes."

Even though Xiao Chen was a chatterbox, he was sweet-tempered and obedient, he followed behind Gu Yan the entire way as the other walked out.

When they were almost at the door, Gu Yan suddenly stopped in his tracks.

Xiao Chen almost collided with his back, and quickly asked, "Yan Ge, what's wrong?"

"My phone...I forgot it in the lounge." Just a few rumors in the magazine had made him absent-minded.

Actors couldn't leave their phones carelessly lying about. Before Gu Yan even asked, Xiao Chen, volunteered loudly, "I'll go get it!"

He was already hurriedly running back before he'd finished talking.

When Xiao Chen arrived, he saw that the door to the lounge was ajar, bits of conversation drifted out from inside the room. There were both male and female voices, Xiao Chen recognized one of the supporting cast from the show, a female star who'd been paired with Gu Yan not too long ago, and shared multiple blooper reels with him(3).