Flower Vase: Chapter 8

"It's you?" Qin Zhiyuan relaxed his strained nerves, pressing a hand between his eyebrows, and asked, "Where's Old Wang?"

Old Wang was his driver, he knew Gu Yan pretty well too.

"I lied to him and said that Boss Qin was in a really good mood tonight, and was planning on taking me out on a drive. So he just gave me the keys." Gu Yan shook the car keys in his hand, and said, "I'm the one who did all these bad things, he's a victim too."

Obviously, that wasn't what Qin Zhiyuan minded and only asked, "What tricks are you up to now?"

Gu Yan pressed both hands to his chest and made a worshipful expression laden with devotion. He recited the lines he had memorized not so long ago, "I only wanted a chance to have some alone time with you, is that not okay?"

"The look in your eyes is too wooden, you've got a lot of practice to do." Qin Zhiyuan looked towards the flickering lights outside his window and asked, "What is this place?"

"The bar streets."

"Hmm?"

Gu Yan raised a hand to point at Qin Zhiyuan's furrowed brows, he said, "You look like you're looking to get wasted."

Though Qin Zhiyuan's woes were seen through, he wasn't the least bit offended. Although his face looked paler than usual, his smile still remained impeccable. "I don't drink."

"Yes, of course, no smoking, no drinking, completely devoted to love..." Gu Yan counted off on his fingers, "Boss Qin is really the embodiment of the good modern man."

As he spoke, he asked out of the blue, "Why are you feeling down?"

Qin Zhiyuan gave a start, then smiling, he asked back, "Why would you think so?"

"You've been off ever since you took that call, it had something to do with that, right?" Gu Yan knew he wouldn't answer, so as soon as he finished his question, he immediately went on, "Let me guess. Is it because your business failed, and you'll be broke soon?"

Qin Zhiyuan's expression remained unchanged.

"The results of your physical came out, and the doctor discovered that you've been stricken with an incurable disease, and you've only got months left?" Qin Zhiyuan continued to have an indifferent look on his face.

"You ticked off a mafia boss, and he's put a hit on you?"

Qin Zhiyuan remained unperturbed.

"Someone put a green hat on your head..."(1)

Qin Zhiyuan wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, finally conceding defeat to Gu Yan's vivid imagination, he opened his mouth to reply. "I'm feeling rather down tonight."

These words were just what Gu Yan was waiting for, he immediately tucked away his playful attitude, and asked, "And?"

Not a single strand of Qin Zhiyuan's black hair was out of place, the buttons on his dress shirt were done up all the way to the collar, only his brows gave away the slightest hint of his weariness. He said in a calm voice, "I just want to take a break by myself for a while, it'll be fine after tonight."

After tonight, he'll put his perfect, fake mask back on, and turn back into the refined, courteous, and gentlemanly Qin Zhiyuan in everyone else's eyes again.

This ephemeral moment may be the only chance that he would let down the walls to his heart.

Gu Yan fixed a stare upon Qin Zhiyuan.