Flower Vase: Chapter 5

When filming began for the new show a few days later, Gu Yan got an unexpected surprise.

Zhang Qi blinked those huge eyes of his and greeted Gu Yan in the dressing room with a beaming smile. "Yan Ge, thank you for taking care of me a few days ago. It's so hard to get a chance to act in the same show as you, I'm really really happy."

Gu Yan "hmm"ed in answer; although he had been surprised, he said nothing and greeted Zhang Qi quite normally. When he went to put on his makeup, he heard from Xiao Chen that Zhang Qi had been saddled with the role of the supporting male character, he was to act as the younger brother of the female lead. He didn't have a large part to play and was supposed to be the young son from a rich family, inexperienced in the ways of the world, who was shy and blushed easily. It wasn't a difficult role to play and was quite lovable.

As Zhang Qi had only just debuted, this role wouldn't appear to be too jarring for him and could build upon his popularity, it was quite fitting.

The only thing was... why did he have to be stuck with him?

Gu Yan thought back to the conversation that night, Qin Zhiyuan had mentioned something about filming the show, there were hints to be found all over the place. He, himself was the only one to blame for being too careless and not perceiving any of them.

This time it was the supporting role, next time it'd be the main lead.

And wasn't he just the same?

He couldn't even count the number of times he'd acted as the bonafide flower vase when he'd had to act in bit roles everywhere a long time ago. He had been scolded so much to the point that calluses built up around his ears. Later, as soon as he crawled into Boss Qin's bed, he immediately leveled up to being the protagonist. Then afterward, everyone knew, he, Gu Yan, would never act in a supporting role.

It was no wonder so many people swarmed Qin Zhiyuan in droves, like moths to his flame, the competition was more cutthroat than being an actor. It wasn't as if he had three heads or six extra arms(1) compared to everyone else, how could he not put his heart and mind into it?

Gu Yan stared at the still handsome face in the mirror, and thoroughly reflected upon his recent lackadaisical attitude. Later, when he was posing for the promotional photos, his smile was much more dazzling compared to usual.

Zhang Qi stood in his place in the corner, showing off the small dimple on his cheek, his smile was just as endearing and innocuous.

The old love and the new.

Engaged in overt and covert warfare.

Gu Yan couldn't figure out why Qin Zhiyuan planned something like this. Did he want to see him jealous? Or did he want to see him not be jealous? Or was Big Boss so bored that he wanted a new kind of play?

He thought about this, then when he was having dinner with Qin Zhiyuan that night, he pretended to mention offhandedly about how Zhang Qi was in the same cast as he was.

Qin Zhiyuan was better informed on the ins and outs of this whole affair than he was, but the attitude he adopted now was as if he were taking care of official business. He said, "I did hear that he took a role from a period drama, didn't think it'd be with you though. But this is good, he's still a newbie who doesn't know anything, you can take him under your wing."

"I'm no good at acting, but my bedroom skills are okay though." Because they were at his place, Gu Yan raised his foot and rub it against Qin Zhiyuan's leg under the table, he asked, "What does President Qin hope for me to teach him?"