chapter 4

“You’re a sex addict?!” I whisper-shouted at Kellin when he walked out of the building an hour later. Yeah, I had waited around for him. I had a couple of questions I needed to ask. How could he not tell me about this? Then again, he hasn’t told me very much about himself.

“Vic?” He seemed a little shocked to see me. The shock soon left though and he was back to the cool, calm and confident Kellin that he had been these past few days. “What are you doing here?”

“Uh, I followed you. Yeah, I know that sounds stalkerish but I-“

“Sounds stalkerish? Vic, that is the exact definition of stalking. You’re a doctor, aren’t you supposed to be smart?” He asked with a chuckle. He put his hands in his jean pockets and started walking down the street. I caught up to him, falling into step next to him.

“Want to tell me what’s going on?” I asked.

“I think it was pretty obvious.” He said, still not taking this seriously.

“Right, we did what we did in my car and then straight after you’re at a sex addict meeting? Like is this a serious problem? Oh my God, how many people have you slept with? Do I need to get checked for STD’s?” I asked, going on a ramble. I was panicking now, and hey, I’m a doctor, I worry about the health side. Kellin stood in front in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders, stopping me from walking.

“Woah, Vic, calm down, okay? I don’t have any diseases or whatever.” He said.

“Are you sure?” I asked quickly, still in a little panic.

“Cross my heart and hope to die. I got tested after the uh, court appearance.” He said, finishing with a cough so I couldn’t hear what he said, but I did. He turned and kept walking, and of course I followed.

“Court appearance?!” I exasperated.

“It’s not a big deal.” He brushed it off.

“It actually is a big deal. Can you just tell me why you were in a sex addict meeting? Does it have to do with why you were in court?” I asked.

Kellin sighed and stopped walking, turning to me again.

“You’re not going to drop it until I tell you, are you?” He asked.

“Probably not.” I said.

He rolled his eyes and nodded towards a set of stairs out the front of a building. We went over and sat on them, facing each other. It was weird, I guess, like talking to Kellin and getting serious with him considering the three encounters I had with him was purely based on hooking up.

“Alright, so yes I did have to go to court and I got sentenced with one month of going to S.A.A meetings three times per week.” He told me.

“Why? What did you do?” I asked.

“Um, well, I got pulled over for speeding…” He said and stopped.

“Speeding? You got sent to sex addict meetings for a speeding ticket?” I asked. That was absurd.

“Let me finish. I got pulled over and I…well, I offered the police officer sex in exchange for not paying the ticket.” He said. I sighed and shook my head. Was I disappointed? No, I don’t think so. I was more intrigued.

“Okay, there’s more isn’t there? You wouldn’t get a month of meetings for that one thing.” I said and he nodded.

“Yeah well, I went to court and I, uh, well I offered to have sex with the judge…and the parole officer…uh, and the district attorney.” He finished with a chuckle.