chapter 5

“Hi, Kellin, It’s Vic. So I don’t really know how these things, like, work. I mean am I supposed to call you or you call me or you keep showing up randomly or I mean we could meet up somewhere. It’s just you disappeared for a few days and I miss you, well I mean not like miss you miss you I mean what we do together and I want to do it again, I mean if that’s okay. I-“ The beep on his cell phone’s answering machine went off indicating I had been talking for too long.

“Press one to save or press two to delete your message.” An automated voice said to me. I pressed the number ‘two’, just like I had yesterday and the day before. That message sounded so pathetic, as did the others. I had never done this casual sex thing before so I had no clue how it works, so I went and got Kellin’s phone number off the computer system at my work and I keep calling him but deleting the messages. Why he never answers, I have no idea. I feel like I’m starting to sound desperate. Too desperate. I need to chill out. If Kellin wants to continue this thing between us then he knows where to find me.

I sighed, getting up from my desk and walking out of my office and across the empty waiting room. It was half way through the day, lunch time, on a Friday. Thank God it’s Friday. It’s not like I have any specific plans for the weekend but I do enjoy my alone time. I walked past the secretary’s desk and into the back room where Jill was sitting at the small table already eating. The angel that she was she already had my lunch, a simple sandwich I had made at home, sitting on a plate after getting it out of the fridge.

“Hey Jill, how has your day been?” I asked her as I sat down on the chair opposite her and picked up my sandwich. I took a big bite because well, I was freaking hungry.

“It’s been kind of slow actually. Not many calls or patients have come in which I guess you noticed. Oh, you have that meeting with a member of the medical board today, soon actually. They should be here any moment now.” She told me.

“I do?” I asked.

“Yes, I told you yesterday, but you seemed a bit distracted so I guess you didn’t hear.” She said.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did the medical board say what they want?” I asked.

“Just a routine check-up to see how your business is going.” She said. I nodded and muttered an ‘okay’. I wish I had been a little more prepared, but I do everything by the code, well except for what happened with Kellin, so everything should be fine.

“So, what’s new with you?” I asked Jill just to make conversation.

“Well, I just put a deposit on that retirement cruise I was telling you about.” She said.

“Oh right, Jill you look much too young to be retiring so soon.” I said with a wink. She blushed and smiled, shaking her head. I swear she thought I was the most charming person in the world. We continued our conversation for a little while until I heard a dinging sound meaning someone was waiting at the front desk impatiently.

“Oh, that must be the people from the board.” Jill said, getting up. I quickly shoved the last little bit of sandwich in my mouth and went out with her to the front desk. There was a man standing there, he looked to be about fiftyish years old and was looking sharp in a suit.

“Mr Batten I presume?” Jill asked him.

“Yes, how do you do?” He asked in a British accent and put his hand forward to shake hers.

“Very well thank you.” She said to him as she shook his hand. His attention turned to me and I shook his hand too.

“Good afternoon, I’m Doctor Fuentes. Let’s take this into my office, shall we?” I suggested.