Chapter 11: Jaunedice

Teams JNPR and RWBY plus Omni are in Professor Goodwitch's class. Jaune is sparing with Cardin Winchester.

Jaune charges Cardin, who knocks Jaune aside with his mace, causing Jaune to drop his shield. Jaune then charge again and swings his sword down, only to be blocked by Cardin.

Cardin: This is the part, where you lose.

Jaune: Over my dead-

Jaune is cut off by Cardin kneeing him in the gut. Jaune falls to the floor and Cardin raises his mace overhead to bring down on Jaune, but is stopped when a buzzer goes off, signaling the end of the fight. Goodwitch walks into the arena, between the two fighters.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough. Students, as you can see Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match. Mister Arc, it's been weeks now, please try to refer to your scroll during combat. Gauging your aura will help you to decide when it is appropriate to attack or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now would we?

Cardin(muttering): Speak for yourself.

Glynda: Remember everyone! The Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale.

The bell rings, signalling the end of class.

Team RWBY starts getting excited at the mention of the Vytal Festival. Pyrrha, on the other hand, looks at Jaune with concern. Omni sees this, but says nothing.

Timeskip

(A.N. I'm starting to do timeskips, deal with it)

Teams RWBY and JNPR plus Omni are sitting down at a lunch table. Nora is telling a story, though only Yang is really paying attention.

Nora: So... there we were... in the middle of the night...

Ren: It was day.

Nora: We were surrounded by Ursai.

Ren: They were Beowolves.

Nora(standing up): Dozens of them!

Ren: Two of'em.

Nora: But they were no match. And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!

Ren(sigh): She's been having this reoccurring dream for nearly a month now.

Omni, Pyrrha, and Ruby ignored the story. Instead focusing on a depressed Jaune, who is playing with his lunch.

Pyrrha: Jaune, are you okay?

Jaune: Huh? Oh, yeah. Why?

Ruby: It's just that you seem a little...

Omni: Not okay.

Everyone else turns their attention to Jaune.

Jaune: Guys, I'm fine... seriously, look.(gives a thumbs up while nervously laughing)

Mocking laughter is heard in the background, causing the group to all look in the direction of the sound. They see team CRDL sitting around and mocking a girl with rabbit ears.

Pyrrha: Jaune, Cardin's been picking on you since the first week of school.

Jaune(turning to Pyrrha): Who? Cardin Winchester? Nah... he just likes to mess around, you know? Practical jokes.