Captain America: Civil War

I've been with James for a month now. We're still staying in the small apartment.

I've called Dad about my staying with James. He asked why. I just told him we had to sort some stuff out. I'm just here to keep James company. He's been by himself for too long. He needs a friend.

Dad's okay with it, but he wants to see me again. He has something that we need to talk about, but he didn't tell me. I haven't... been hanging around him as much as I used to.

Past few nights he has had nightmares, which I comforted him. I don't want to leave him here by himself. I can't.

He's always telling me to go back to the Avengers Facility, but you know stubborn me.

I sighed as I laid on James's bed. I've been sleeping on the couch, since I'm smaller. James gets the bed.

"When will you be back?" James asked from the beat up couch.

"Maybe a few hours." I held my hands high in the air as I shrugged. "I need to go though. The others will be there too."

"Why do you do it?"

I looked at him, confused.

"Why do you stay with me? You have a home. A family, a life. And you just leave it... for me." I sat up, keeping my stare on James. I watched his eyes stare at the wall behind me, zoning out again. Doubt filled his face.

"James." I called to him. He focused his gaze on me. I've been calling him James ever since Asgard. "I just don't want you to be alone... not anymore. I can't imagine what it was like, experiencing what HYDRA did to you everyday for decades. I wasn't there for you, but I can now. You're my family. My brother. I couldn't live with myself if I went back to the Avengers and left you here."

"That night in New York. I was happy you got away. The most happy I've ever been... but I couldn't help but feel lonely the next few days. Every time I was starting to remember who I was, I always remembered you." James mumbled.

"When I first remembered you, I didn't know what to do. I remember feeling angry at myself. I would scold myself for not going after you. Hating myself for letting them get you again."

"Then, I remember I was a 10 year old girl who was shot in the leg while being chased by men who were trying to take me back to a world of pain and experiments. If I did get caught again, they were going to transfer me to the Red Room."

"You helped me get away, but I couldn't help you. I wanted to help the man who gave me a reason to fight to live. I smiled because of you. You made me feel better after the torture, the experiments, the missions. You kept me whole."

"I'm here to keep you company. Even if you don't want me here, I'm staying, because I'm with you til' the end of the line..." I smirked at the use James and Steve's words. James smiled weakly and pulled my into a hug. "I've been wanting to say that for a long time, but I didn't know if it was a special thing between you and Steve."

We both chuckled. I smiled as I stood up and walked to the fridge. A nice fruit punch juice box. Sometimes I forget that I'm 20 years old.

"Smile even thought your heart is aching. Smile, even though it's breaking. When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by." I sang softly as I opened the juice box. There a song called Smile by Nat "King" Cole. It's a beautiful song, and Meredith used to always sing the first part to me.