Chapter 48: Carters

Sam sat in between Steve and I as we stayed silent for Peggy's funeral. I managed not to cry when they brought her out. I'm surprised I still haven't cried.

I glanced to the back of the room. I found an old man. The same old man that I snuck into visiting Peggy a few years back. A frown on his face.

I held on Sam's hand as we listened to the man at the front talk. My eyes closed as I silently payed my respect to the wonderful and amazing woman the world has lost today.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." I looked up to the stand, watching the blonde woman slowly make her way up. I noticed her looking at Steve.

I felt Sam move slightly. I looked over at Steve. His face slowly morphed realization.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." She glanced at Steve, watching his reaction. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related.

I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed in either.

She said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong, is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree... look them in the eye and say 'no, you move."

I let her words sink in, relating them to my situation. The Accords.

~

I patted Steve's shoulder as I started out the Church.

I haven't seen any of the Avengers except Sam and Steve since three days ago. I haven't talked to Dad or Wanda.

"Hope..." Natasha stopped my in my tracks. I almost tripped down the steps when she popped out of no where.

"Oh shit!" I exclaimed as I caught myself on the railing before falling to my death down the four steps. Natasha smiled at me as she helped me.

"Sorry." She chuckled softly.

"It's alright, Nat." I smiled at her. "I really like this hair style." I pointed to her head. She smiled gratefully, but I could see the force used to make it. "What are you doing here?"

"To see if you wanted to join me in Vienna..." She tilted her head to the side. I pursed my lips and looked to the road ahead of us. I noticed James waiting for me by a pizza shop, eating a slice of pizza while holding another.

"I, uh..." I ran a hand through my hair. She sighed and looked to the ground before looking back at me.

"We have to stay together, Hope. With your deal, you know what the best option is." She gave me a pleading look. I frowned at her. She doesn't usually show that face unless it's for some Candy or her knife back.

"I know it is, but I don't think I can handle it. Seeing you guys for a few hours, only to be stuck in a house for days by myself. I barely get missions because of my specific skill set as it is. When will you ever need me unless it's world-ending?" I smiled at her jokily. "I just can't sign it."

"Okay." She forced a small smile. I could see the sadness in her eyes. I gulped at her hurt feelings. I'm being selfish, aren't I?

"Who did sign though? Did Wanda and Pietro?" I asked the red head. She shook her head.

"Only Vison, Rhodey, and your dad. The twins are TBD." Natasha replied softly. I nodded and looked to the ground.

I walked past her and down the rest of the steps.

"If I may ask, where are you staying anyways? You've been coming and going, like you have things to do." I looked back at Natasha. Her hands in her coat pockets as she waits for answer.

"I can't say." I shrugged as I walked backwards. She raised a suspicious eyebrow. I promised James we wouldn't say a word about where we are. He really wants to stay quiet for a bit.

I made a portal next to me. She turns around and walks into the church.

I made the portal disappear and walk to the cross walk.

I walked to the old man munching on a pizza.

"Your pizza's cold now." He held it out to me. I smiled and took it from him.

"I'm glad you decided to come, though you only visited Peggy once since you started to remember." I bit into my pizza. Bucky stayed silent as he finished his. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. His gaze not wavering as he stared a head of him. "... you visited her again, didn't you?"

"I couldn't help it. That's why I wasn't at the apartment when you first got there. I was just on my way back from visiting her." James explained to me. I gasped at him.

"Really? How many other times?" I narrowed my eyes at him. He glanced at me.

"A few." He shrugged nonchalantly. My eyes widened and I looked ahead of us. We turned into an alley. "It was only because I wanted to here what she had to say about Steve. He crashed a plane. He's a complete idiot. Why couldn't he jump out or something?"

I nodded in agreement at Steve being an idiot.

~

"But why do I have to come!?" I groaned from the couch, just wanting to sleep.

"Because I don't know how long you'll be with my for. You didn't sign the Accords yesterday and now it's too late for you to go back on the deal." James stood above me, arms crossed as he looked down at me. I smiled at his little hat he had on.

"Nice hat." I smirked at it. He ignored my words and continue to stare impatiently. I groaned in annoyance.

"Come on Hope... do it for me..." James gave his best puppy eyes. They grew big as they seemed to sparkle. I stared at James.

"No." I simply stated as I turned away form him, snuggling into the blankets. I felt a hand grab the blankets on my leg. "James Buchanan Barnes. If you don't leave me to sleep, I will cut off all of your hair and shove it so far up your ass that you'll be puking it out for the next—."

"You have an amazing nap while I go get me some plums. I promise to bring you back something. Maybe some apple because you are so smart. Did I ever tell you how smart you are? Incredible. Have a nice nap!" James exclaimed quickly as he walked out the door.

I sighed in content as I closed my eyes. It's so peaceful and quiet when James isn't here.

I just didn't realize how hectic it will get when he gets back.