Chapter 4

"I was a main element in building and designing this entire tower so I think I know my way around, Stark." You put extra emphasis on his name as you strode out of the room, but not before shooting a glare at the man.

—————-

(Your POV)

You kept your word and you found your assigned room quite easily. As well as taking a slight detour to look around at the typed of surveillance that the tower had. As you  passed each camera, you would make a mental note to remind yourself where it was located. By the time you arrived at your quarters, it was about seven pm and the sun was just starting to set at the tower. When you got to your room door, you took a quick glance to your left and right, to see who's room was next to yours. The names Barnes and Rogers were printed on the left and right of your room. You didn't think anything of it and pushed your way into your new room.

The room was extremely dull. The walls were painted a light shade of blue-grey, at least the three walls that weren't replaced by a giant window. The window was adjacent to the door, giving you a spectacular view if the city. You were drawn to the window as you placed a hand on the cool glass and stared at all of the blinding lights of Manhattan. Since you were kept within SHEILD for all of your life, you never really got time to just stop and smell the roses.

     You ripped yourself away from the window and explored the rest of your room. It was vast of anything except for a few pieces of furniture. There was your bed, of course, with a dark grey fitting, and a dark bedside table with a dainty but modern lamp atop of it. In the corner, against the wall, there was a small bookshelf, vast of any books, and a small beanbag chair next to it. There was a wardrobe and another door, a closet you assumed. The bathroom was very modern, with marble counter tops and a silver tap. There was a large walk-in shower, and of course, a porcelain toilet.

     You were admiring the view of the city again when a knock sounded on your door. You strode over to the door silently and whipped the door open. Standing there, was a blonde super Solider.

      You raised a brow in question to him and he gestured inside your room. You nodded and moved back to let him inside, then quietly shut the door.

"The room is a little bland, I'm sure Tony would oblige to get you some things to spruce it up a little." He spoke while he looked around the room. You just shook your head.

"This room is perfectly fine as it is. I don't see as to why I would want to make it more interesting than the rest of the tower."

     The captain nodded slowly and awkwardly and rocked back and fourth on his heels. He gestured to the bed, seemingly asking if he could sit and you gave him an 'I couldn't care less' look and he plopped down.

"I'm Steve, though I'm sure you already know that. Do you have a first name?" You could practically feel the nervousness radiating off of him as you just stood there.

"I prefer to be referred to as Agent
L/N or Agent Phoenix. I find that being on a first name basis is highly unprofessional. I am here to protect you Mr Rogers, not be your friend."
And with that you gave him your best resting bitch face and clasped your hands in front of you.

     He looked like a kicked puppy, hurt that his kindness didn't work to crack your hard exterior. And with that, he got up calmly and left, giving you a simple nod as a fair well.

     ******

      It was seven forty five when captain Rogers left your room, and you decided that you would clock in early tonight. As you removed your hair from the bun at the nape on your neck, you took a moment to take in your appearance. You had certainly come a long way rom the scared little girl you used to be. Now, you could make the strongest of men quiver before you with just one gaze, and that made you proud, but a part of you hated it. You understood that this was your purpose and that you were doing good for the world, but sometimes you just wished you were normal.

     As you ran a comb through your hair, you went to search for more comfortable clothes to replace your uniform. You found an oversized f/c tee shirt in the closet and a pair of fitting sweatpants that were neatly folded in the wardrobe. Since fury had assigned you your room, he made sure to order you enough clothes to hold you over for the next several months. So with your comfortable attire, you quietly crawled into your bed, facing the window, and sleep soon welcomed you into its dreamland where you stayed until 4:30 am exactly.