EIGHT

He looks at me and only nods, so I continue, "The male usually carries the female inside." I explain.

He is confused for one second, "Excuse me?"

"After they are back from pairing, the male usually carry their female inside their house," I explain again.

"Why?"

How should I know?

I just shrug, "I know it sounds silly..." I look at him, if he's uncomfortable with physical contact then I won't push him. "It's ok if you decline, I understand," I tell him.

But surprisingly he walks to me and swoops me up in his arm, bridal style. He looks down at me uncomfortably. "Like this?" He's searching for guidance in my eyes.

"Correct," I smile at him. He starts to walk towards the house and the door opens automatically.

Good Afternoon, High General Zer.

The same robotic voice from the car greets us, Zer doesn't stop to put me down, he keeps walking to the living room and place me down slowly on the sofa.

"Thank you," I told him.

One guest. Female.

The voice informing us. For a moment I thought Zer looks like he's in another galaxy, but when I try to read his eyes I cannot find anything.

"Downloading a new authorizing identity," Zer tells the voice.

Downloading ONE new authorizing identity, referring as...

Zer stops and looks at me for a moment, "Katherine."

Referring as KATHERINE.

"Kate," I correct the voice.

Good afternoon, Kate.

"Is that your artificial intelligence?" I ask Zer.

"DAI, Domestic Artificial Intelligence." He explains. "Shall I show you the bedroom?"

Mine or ours? "Yes, please."

Again, he stands still. "There is no need for you to beg. It's my duty to make sure you're settled."

I frown, "And it's my duty to let my husb—male know I appreciate his efforts."

He doesn't reply, but his silence is getting too loud for me.

"What is it?" I ask him. "Every time I speak I get the impressions that my words are the last you expected to hear." I cannot stand it anymore, I don't want to feel like I cannot speak out my mind freely with somebody I suppose to live until the end of my time. I was once put in that situation and I refuse to go back there.

"It is," He says, "You're... very different than any other female race I know."

"Yes, I'm the representative of Earth, the only human outside of Galaxy A1 509." Where is he going with his statement?

He rise his bumpy brows, "You remember." He seems amused.

I might be desperate but I'm not stupid, I won't be where I'm now standing in an alien planet paired to an alien man if I'm. "I'm well educated," I tell him proudly.

"I can see that." He turns and we walk past the most spacious open kitchen I've seen, even the kitchen in the Housing was smaller than this. But I cannot help to think the small round, three seat table is way too small for such a space. We walk up the stairs and see two doors next to each other.

"This is my bedroom." He pushes open the first door. "The other room is empty, I will make sure tomorrow all the necessary furniture will be delivered. If you have any preference, please let me know." His bedroom is, big, and very masculine. It's too masculine to feel like I breathe testosterone inside. No picture, painting, mirror, plant, or clock. The walls are bare, one big bed, one cupboard, and a writing desk with a chair. The floor is black and the walls are grey. The bedding is dark and so does the rest of the furniture.

"Until your bedroom is ready you can stay here."

So we won't be sharing the bedroom?

"I have to go back to work, I didn't expect to get paired today." He says almost apologetically.

"When will you be back?" I ask him.

"In 4-5 hours."

I nod.

"Anything else you need just ask DAI,"

"Okay."

He turns to walk out of the room and I follow him, and I remember his warning about never walk behind him so I do my best to keep up with him.

"Why are you following me?" He asks.

"I... I want to see you to the door." Now I say it out loud it sounds a bit stupid. We practically are strangers and to bid him goodbye is a bit off.

"I know where the door is."

"I cannot bid you goodbye?" I ask him.

He thinks for a moment, "If you like,"

I smile, "I do, very much." So we walk down the stairs in silence, and I see him to the front door. "Goodbye," I say to him as he walks to his vehicle. "Have a good day."

He looks at me for a moment before getting in and driving away.