TWENTY TWO

"DAI, I'm bored," I tell nobody in particular as I lay down on the sofa looking at the ceiling.

Would you like me to call The High General?

Nah... I don't want to talk to him I want to see him. I want to have a proper conversation with him. I want to hold his hand and look him in the eyes, I want to touch his face and kiss it. I want to...

"DAI, how do I go to my husband's office?"

One hour later I'm sitting down in a taxi. This one is one seat small vehicle with no driver. DAI helped me book one, I clutch a box of food I prepared for us, hopefully, he hasn't eaten yet, if not then I guess I can just sit around in his office and have lunch while he works.

When I arrive I flash my wrist to the metal bar as a payment, the AI informs me my payment is succeeded and I walk out. My eyes squint, as I look the tall building in front of me. All black with tinted windows. So much like him, I think as I smile. It's the beginning of summer and I'm wearing my white sundress, thin straps, sweetheart neckline, reaching just above my knees, I pair it with small heel wedges. My hair is shiny and thick, thanks to whatever shampoo I've been using here.

I walk with my head up high as I notice lots of eyes on me. I guess they never have seen a female with this kind of clothing before. "Hello, I'm Kate, I'm here to see my husband, High General Zer," I say happily.

The male behind the front desk needs a moment to catch what I saw saying, but as soon as I repeat Zer's name his eyes go wide. "Er... uh... yes, The High General Zer, um, top floor." He mumbles.

Huh, weirdo.

"Thank you," I say anyway. I walk further inside. As I walk inside the elevator I notice people are shamelessly staring at me. "Hello, I'm Kate, The High General Zer's wife, nice to meet you," I offer my hand but nobody takes it, they turn their face around and seems uncomfortable with my presence.

Ooookaayyy?

When I reach the top floor my confidence drops. Maybe it's a bad idea? I should have told him first, what if it's forbidden for the female to visit their husband's office? Tzarian surely has a lot of weird rules.

"Hello," I say politely to another male sitting behind what looks like a secretary desk. "I'm Kate, I'd li—"

The male suddenly stands up with his face pale and his body stiff. No words coming out of his mouth and I wonder if he is okay?

"Kate." I hear Zer's voice. I turn and see him in his dark uniform, with arms stiff beside him.

"Hey..." I walk to him and smile. "Surprise!" But as I look at his face I know my presence is unwanted. "Um... if you're busy I can just... go home?" I feel stupid now, I really should have told him before I show up uninvited for the first time.

"Would you like to talk in my office?" He asks me instead.

"Yes...?" I reply confuse, is he going to lecture me in there? Telling me I shouldn't show up uninvited? I bit my lips as my shoulder drops. We arrive at the last door where he holds the door open for me.

When he closes the door behind him and locks it, I know something is off. "I'm sorry I come uninvited, I thought I will surprise you, I can see that it's not a good idea, I'll just go home now and leave you with your work." I blurt before he has a chance to say anything.

He just looks at me.

"Zer?" I walk towards him, the space I feel between us is killing me. "Are you angry?"

Somehow my question shocks him. "Why would I be angry?" He asks me.

"Because I come here uninvited? You must be busy, aren't you? If you could just order me a transportation to bring me back home I'll get out of here, immediately."

"Why are you here?" He asks again.

"Well, I bring lunch," I lift the insulated bag I'm holding. "I thought instead of eating alone, I can come to eat with you," Now I say it out loud it sounds stupid and clingy. Does he think I'm clingy?

"You want to eat lunch with me?" He asks again in disbelieve.

"Yes? Have you had lunch?"

He looks at the bag I'm holding, and then me. "I haven't had lunch." He replies.

I look at him in the eyes, "Would you like to have lunch with me? You don't have too... if you're busy then I understand."

He closes the gap between us, and reaching for my hands. "You come here to have lunch with me?" He asks again, I nod. "Is there... anything you would like to discuss with me?" he asks me again.

"That... I'm sorry to come uninvited?" I circle his hips with my arm.

"Other than that?" he cups my face and lightly rubs his thumbs along my jaw.

"I miss you," I tell him.

"I miss you too." He says. His lips found the spot right below my ear.

"So... you... want to... ah, lunch?"

"I'm starving." He tells me. "Just not for food." His hand moves dangerously lower to the hem of my dress.

My God.