•Chapter 12•

•Theadora Sanford•

"The cat and dog were excited about playing their-" I stopped at the word. "their ex lo- no..." I stopped as I tried to pronounce the word. "Exlopuhone?" I stared at the word in confusion. "I'm so stupid," I mumbled pushing the book away.

"No you're not. You're just learning. Do you need help with it?" I hated when I needed help. I nodded either way. "Xylophone. Ziy-lo-phone," he sounded out.

"Xy-lo-phone." I repeated.

"Go ahead and rest. We'll continue tomorrow." He closed the book and I sat up in my bed and stared at Josh.

"Josh... You know you've healed completely," I began.

"Yeah?"

"And... And you haven't left." He raised his eyebrows.

"Because... I'm teaching you how to read," he explained.

"That's it?" I whispered expecting more. After our kiss... And everything? That was all. I felt broken inside.

"Thea, don't take this out of proportion, what we have-"

"No. Just.... Just Don't. Please.... Friendship. This is strictly friendship."

"Thea-"

"So you kissed me because that's what friends do?" I cut him off.

"I can't control my actions sometimes, I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry." I just wanted the conversation to end. "I just need to ask you one more thing."

"Shoot."

"Why are you so nice to me?"

Josh sighed, "Because," he stood up, "I've been through the same thing."

"It still isn't fair you have to do this. You can leave anytime you want, you know? It just causes more trouble for you if you stay. I'm fine right here."

Josh's eyes met mine in an instant, "No," he stated.

"No?"

"No. You aren't fine, you will never be fine, Thea. You live... You live..."

"It's been this way my entire life. I really am okay."

"I can see it in your eyes. The pain, the fear, the sadness. You aren't fooling me." Josh moved closer to me. His eyes were squinted, "Don't ever tell me you're okay. I will never believe you are okay unless you are rid of.... Of.... This." I stared at him as his anger was replaced with relief. His expression became calm and he kissed my forehead softly. "Goodnight, Thea," he mumbled before walking back into the smaller room. I brought my knees up to myself and did the one thing mama told me to do in a time of need.

I prayed.

•••

'Birds flyin' high, you know how I feel-' I quickly pressed my alarm to snooze before the music could continue. I rubbed my eyes and glanced around the room. Josh was putting on his shoes.

"Morning." he nodded towards me.

"Good morning." I yawned. He smirked at me before opening the window and disappearing into the snow. He shut it afterwards and I looked around for Cat. Josh must have already let him out.

The door to my room opened and I gasped as Riley ran up to me. "They're checking inventory and word out is their looking for a runway rogue," she informed.

My eyes grew big as I grabbed my perfume and sprayed it all around my room. "Where is he?" Riley asked pulling back the small handmade curtain and seeing that it was empty besides 2 cups which were Cat's food and water bowls.