fourty four

"stop, let me have more

"stop, let me have more." heejin whined, reaching for the sundae she and yeonjun were sharing.

"no, you've already eaten your half. your stomach will get upset if you eat anymore." yeonjun denied, pulling the ice cream father away from heejin.

"fine," she pouted, crossing her arms and watching him continue eating the desert.

yeonjun was about to give in when heejin's phone began ringing. he felt a bit of concern wash over him when he saw the way her face changed and how she rushed to get up and walk away from the table.

"where's heejin go?" jisoo asked him, quickly realizing her chair was empty.

"uh, she had a phone call," he told her, eyes still watching her changing body language.

she's tense.

it took a few minutes before she began walking back over to the table, but before she could sit down, yeonjun had gotten up from his own seat.

"we'll be right back," he said to the others, quickly walking over to heejin without a glance at their friends to see if they'd even heard him over the loud music and game machines.

in a swift motion, he grabbed her hand, pulling her away from the table and outside.

as soon as they stepped outside the door, heejin's eyes began watering as the cold wind hit her face.

"hey, woah. what's wrong?" yeonjun asked worriedly, pulling her into a hug and caressing the back of her head.

she sniffles a bit before pulling back and wiping the few tears that escaped her eyes.

"the phone call. it was my mother's doctor."

"minsoo?"

"no, no. minsoo is her caretaker. the doctor from the hospital was the one that called."

"well, what'd they say?"

"she said that i need to come in as soon as possible." heejin said, her voice showing her vulnerability.

"well, let's go. i'll drive you."

"no, yeonjun, just wait. the doctor's voice...she sounded different. somethings wrong."

"with your mother?"

"i'm not sure. but i can tell something isn't right. but we told the others that we'd hang out. i don't want to just leave without them knowing why."

"heejin, you're distraught. they'll know something is wrong and they'll let us leave. i'll tell them, you just go get in the car."