𝟬𝟭𝟵 stay numb and carry on

CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN.
stay numb and carry on

     THE DARK NIGHT sky was an expanse of a single dark abyss mixed with specks of navy blue painted across the midnight sky, a blanket of darkness consuming the once warm and inviting day and turning it into an endless pit of everlasting oblivion

THE DARK NIGHT sky was an expanse of a single dark abyss mixed with specks of navy blue painted across the midnight sky, a blanket of darkness consuming the once warm and inviting day and turning it into an endless pit of everlasting oblivion. It seemed that the only sprinkle of light in the midst of the dark summer night just so happened to be the beaming stars scattered across the skies, twinkling softly amongst the darkness, the stars dancing around the pale moonlight that shined brightly behind a set of dusty, grey clouds, illuminating the most dark and shadowy parts of Outer Banks. It was almost like it was basking in the ever changing afterglow of emotions and past mistakes.

     At least. . . that was how Nova Van Kirk chose to describe it. In her brain the girl saw the stars as a collection of each memory created throughout her lifetime, each twinkling star holding a memory of hers from the past — good, bad, and let's not forget about the ugly. She believed each memory created over time turned itself into a sparkling star, and if it was bright then it was a memory worth remembering. But if the star was dimly lit then Nova knew that star harnessed a distant memory that the girl would rather forget and store away in the blanket of darkness for the rest of her life.

     She was named after a star after all.

     Sure, science proved that stars were nothing more than just planets moving through the solar system. Some even theorised that there were still so many planets that were yet to be discovered, which explained the dozen of stars littered across the night sky. But Nova didn't like to see something so beautiful and breathtaking be nothing more than just meaningless science, which was why she created her own theory to show stars had some sort of meaning to life itself. It may have been a strange interpretation, but when Nova saw the bright, twinkling stars above her head, it gave her some hope that things would turn out good for her someday.

     Those were the thoughts that circled through Nova's mind as she sat in the backseat of the car with Juno whilst Pope and Kiara were seated at the front, her crystal blue eyes filled with wanderlust cascading over the night sky as the group drove down the dusty road that led them to the chateau. They were going somewhere quiet and secluded to test out the equipment Pope had gotten so they could go into the well and retrieve the gold the next day, and John B's place seemed to be the best place for that. Truthfully, the drive to the chateau was taking a lot longer than Nova originally remembered, but she guessed it was because Pope was driving, and she was aware he liked to drive a little more safely than John B and JJ.