Chapter 4. Exes

"Oh." Is all I manage to say. My throat tightens.
I can't believe I thought for even a split second then maybe, just maybe, a guy actually liked me. A guy as cute as Kian. And I can't believe I thought maybe we'd have a chance. I just MET the dude. And maybe he was just hitting on me just to get his mind off Andrea. No, maybe he wasn't even hitting on me in the first place! I was overthinking everything.
"Anna?" Kian says, snapping me back to reality.
"Sorry, what?"
"You okay?"
"Yeah." I respond, nodding and attempting to swallow the growing lump on my throat. "Just reminded me of things between me and my ex, I guess. Even though him still being in love with me is out of the question." I lie, though the last part is true.
"Oh." Kian shrugs, wrapping an arm around me and rubbing my back. "Well if it makes you feel better, I might not still be in love with Andrea."
"How the heck is that supposed to make me feel better?" I scoff, looking up at him. He smirks.
"I'm just trying to be helpful. What, you want me to just say sorry awkwardly? Sorry." He says mockingly, and I frown at him. He sighs.
"You just said you were in love with her. Don't lie."
"I said maybe. MAYBE. I don't know, to be honest. Maybe it's the punch talking. Pretty sure Jc may have spiked it."
"Jc? Why Jc?"
"I just enjoy blaming everything on him, okay?" Kian smirks. I shake my head.
Suddenly my phone buzzes and I pull it out from my back pocket to see who it is. James.
"It's my ex. Great." I mumble. Kian nods his head at me.
"What'd the d-bag say?" I laugh at how casual he says it.
"He said Nicole, his fiancée, and him would love for me to join them for dinner at some fancy Italian restaurant." I say. "I don't have anyone to go with though and I don't wanna watch the two of them make-out while eating my lasagna at the same time." Kian scoffs.
"I'll go with you." He says. "See? You got me now."
"Really?" My eyes widen in shock, and then I look around. "You talking to me?"
"Yeah, you. Nerd glasses." Kian pokes at my spectacles and I soon fix them, playfully punching his shoulder afterwards.
"Why?" I ask, curious.
Did he just say he'd go on a date with me? Maybe he meant platonically. Maybe he didn't even think of it as a date; he probably thought of it as a hangout with just another one of his bros.
"For the food. I luh me some spaghetti." He rubs his stomach. "No, but in all seriousness... Why not?"
"You don't have to. I don't want to force you into doing anything. This party was enough. My car isn't that big of a deal."
"This isn't about the car. I consider you my friend and I'd like to think you consider me yours? I mean we just met and it seems like we've known each other for years. And you're not forcing me into anything. Just let me take you to dinner so I can meet this jerk of an ex." I smile at his comment before looking over at him. "Oh, and I invited you to this party because I wanted to, not because I had to."
"Thanks." I say, grinning at him. He nods.
"Don't mention it. Now what's your ex's name?"
"James." I respond, suddenly becoming sad. "But I call him Jimmy. I thought that was his name when I first met him so it just stuck." Kian smiles.
"Jimmy's a nickname for James." He says. "You ever heard of Jimmy Neutron? James Neutron? Because James Chadwick was involved with the discovery of atoms." He doesn't look at me at all, instead staring off into the distance with a goofy grin on his face that's enough to make my heart melt.
"Wow, Einstein. You must like science a lot, huh?"
"Yeah, science is pretty cool but it's mainly fun facts I like." He shrugs. "Fun fact about me: I like fun facts."
"That's a very fun fact." I smile, and he smiles back, and we just sit there talking about God knows what and laughing at things that aren't even funny, and it all feels so right. It's not forced or awkward or anything but perfect. And I want to stay here with him forever just as long as he's here.
For some odd reason, the guy who hit my car earlier in the day makes me feel safe, a feeling of tranquility that I've never felt with anyone before.