Chapter 8. Stars

By now it's already three-thirty. Kian turns up the radio, letting out a girly scream at the song.
"AND I NEED YOU... AND I MISS YOU!" He shakes his head rapidly at the instrumental parts causing me to laugh. "AND NOW I WONDER..."
"IF I COULD FALL INTO THE SKY, DO YOU THINK TIME WOULD PASS ME BY?" I sing along with him, and suddenly he stops.
"SING IT, GIRL! PRAISE!" He yells.
"CUZ YOU KNOW I'D WALK A THOUSAND MILES IF I COULD JUST SEE YOUUUUUUUUU TONIGHT!" I watch as Kian head bangs out of rhythm and I yell at him, laughing and letting out a snort. "KIAN, DRIVE!"
"WHERE TO?" He yells back.
"ANYWHERE."
"WHY ARE WE YELLING?"
"I DON'T KNOW."
"OKAY."
And suddenly he stops, pulling the car over.
"What are you doing?" I say, my voice quiet now. He looks over at me, a huge, goofy grin plastered on his face.
"You said we could go anywhere soooo, follow me!" He excitedly jumps out of the car, running over and opening my door before grabbing my hands and pulling me up, closing the door behind me before letting go of one hand and running.
"Kian, what are we doing?" I laugh, though in all honesty, I don't care. As long as I'm with him. As long as we stay like this.
"You'll see!"
He runs over to a tree, letting go of my hand and sitting down beneath it. He pats the spot next to him as he scoots over. "Sit."
"I'm not a dog." I remind him jokingly, doing as I'm told. He wraps an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. I look up at him, confusion in my eyes. He smiles.
"What?"
"I don't get it."
"Don't get what?"
"What we're doing here?"
"Look." He nods towards the sky, and I look up. "The stars. They're pretty, huh?"
"Wow," I begin, gasping as I take everything in. "They really are pretty."
"I think we get so distracted by everything else we don't have time to admire the everyday gifts." Kian shrugs. I've never seen this side of him. This soft, sweet, sentimental side. I like it just as much as I like his other aspects.
"Yeah." I agree, staring at him though his eyes remain on the stars. "You're right about that."
"Like if the stars weren't there one day, everyone would freak out. Because no one expected that. We take life for granted, and I don't wanna do that. I think we should appreciate what we have while we have it, because one day it might not be there." He looks down sadly, then at me. "And sometimes we take people for granted too."
"Yeah." I look back up at the stars only to feel fingers intertwine with mine slowly. I look down, then at Kian, who's looking back up at the sky again. I smile at him slowly, leaning against him as I rest my head on his shoulder. In the corner of my eye I can see a smile creeping onto his lips. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath as I burrow my head into his neck.
I never wanted this moment to end. I didn't want to stop holding his hand, or snuggling up against his body and him radiating heat, I didn't want to stop my nose from taking in his cologne's scent, I didn't want to stop feeling his heart beat or his pulse in his neck. I open my eyes suddenly, and look up at Kian, who quickly matches my gaze.
The stars leave a certain reflection in his eyes, causing them to sparkle, and I smile at him.
"Thank you for this, Kian. It's really pretty out here."
"Yeah. I'm glad you like it." He whispers into my ear as he rubs my back, causing shivers down my spine and goosebumps on my skin and my hand shakes as he holds onto it, running his thumb over my knuckles slowly. I struggle for oxygen, my head throbbing and my heart racing. I feel like I'm going to throw up.
There was something about him. Well, no, there was a ton. Like how his laugh would echo throughout a room and how you knew it was his the moment you heard it, and how his eyes could make your own go from gloomy to glistening in a second, and how his smile was contagious and caused you to blush like mad, and how whenever he was around you felt safe. I felt like nothing in the world could harm me because with him, I was unstoppable. We were unstoppable, together. No one, not even James, had ever made me feel like that.
Oh, God. This was it. I was falling head-over-heels in love with Kian Lawley and there was no point in trying to deny it.