Chapter 5. Butterflies

"Where the hell were you guys?" Jc and the others turn around to face Kian and I as they hear our approaching footsteps down the stairs.
"In my room." Kian replies casually, and I immediately shake my head as I see a few winks from the guys. Kian laughs. "Not like that, you sick perverts."
"Was the party that boring?" Ricky teases us, a smirk on his face.
"I'm exhausted." Vanessa says, smiling over at Jc. Oh, GOD. Get a room.
"Don't worry about staying to help clean up. We got this, right guys?" Connor says. A couple of laughs. He shrugs, nodding at me with a small smirk. "We got this." He mouths.
"Yeah, Con's right. We'll let you guys leave now." Kian smiles down at me, his hands in his pockets. "Come on."
Vanessa waves goodbye to everyone (mainly Jc) while I give them all a smile, and then follow Kian's lead.
As he holds the passenger door open for me, everything gets silent. It's just him staring into my eyes and me staring right back.
"Even though we kinda isolated ourselves from the actual fun, I still had lots of it." I nod, smiling up at him. "Thanks for inviting us."
"Thanks for coming, Anna." He smiles back at me, biting his lip. Vanessa clears her throat. "And Vanessa." He smiles at my roommate who smiles back, sarcastically, before sighing.
"Forget me, why don't you..." She mumbles. I scoff, kicking her. "Stop playing footsie with me."
"Um, I should probably go help clean up. Call me about the dinner date, got it?" Kian jogs back up the steps leading to his door before stopping and waving at us. I nod, smiling and waving back.
"I'll try not to forget!"
"If you do I'll just show up at some random Italian restaurant looking like a loner." He calls back. I laugh, and then as soon as he closes the door, Vanessa hits my shoulder.
"What?" I ask. "I wasn't playing foo-"
"He asked you out?!" She nearly screams. I shush her. "Sorry. He asked you out?" She repeats, this time a bit quieter. I raise a brow, blushing a bit but trying not to seem like it.
"What? What're you talking about?"
"He said don't forget about 'the date', what date?" He said date?
He called it a date! He called the thing with James and Nicole a DATE!
"Oh, I didn't tell you?"
"Here, you know what. Let me drive off before we look like a bunch of stalkers." She says, speeding off and catching me by surprise. She nearly runs into a garbage can.
"OH, MY GOD! NESS!" I yelp. She scoffs.
"It was jaywalking anyway." She jokes. I scowl at her before adjusting my seat belt.
"Okay. Keep your eyes on the road while telling this because I know how you are and-"
"Just shut up and tell me already!"
"HOLD YOUR HORSES. I'M GETTING THERE."
"I'm holding my horses, Anna."
"Thank you. Well while I was at the store I ran into James-" She interrupts.
"THAT JERK YOU TOLD ME ABOUT? UGH, WHAT WAS HE DOING THERE?"
"Oh, I don't know. Looking for giraffes?" I give her a sarcastic grin. She rolls her eyes.
"Whatever. All right, continue."
"So he spots me right as I'm about to leave, we get to talking, blah blah blah, and then he's like 'I'm engaged!' And he invited me on a double-date with him and his fiancée Nicole and what was I supposed to say? The guy wouldn't let me leave and I wasn't about to admit that after him I still hadn't found another love. So Kian said he'd take me. But we're not gonna act all lovey-dovey, in fact I'm gonna make up some lame excuse that my real boyfriend is a model from France who's currently visiting his family up there and that Kian is his... Step-brother who is already married and is on this date with me PLATONICALLY. So, that's all." I shrug. Silence.
"Are you serious? That's your plan? That's gonna cause a lot of tension between Flávio and Kian."
"Who?"
"Your imaginary French boyfriend."
"Oh." I mumble. I sigh, looking out the window.
"That seems like a really crappy thing to do to an ex, Anna. I'm sorry." She glances over at me.
"Road." I respond. From the corner of my eye I can see her nod. "And I don't know. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't still partly in love with him and wasn't single."
"What? You still have feelings for that thing?" She practically yells. I laugh quietly, still staring out the window as I lean my elbow on it, my head resting on my hand.
"A little. I mean how do you expect to get over your first, real love?" I ask. She sighs.
"True, but..." She begins. "You find a new love."
"Yeah, okay. I'll go pick one up at Target." I say. She smiles to herself.
"You'll find the one someday. You just gotta stop looking. You always find what you need without even trying to." The quote echoes in my head.
"Thanks."
"Anytime." It gets silent again and I sigh. "Oh, that cute guy Jc? Yeah, he asked for my number. And he called me BABE. BABE."
"That's great." I run my fingers over the tears in my jeans. "I could tell he really liked you."
"Yeah, me too. He actually talked to me before making an actual move though, you know? Like he wasn't just like, 'Hey, you're hot." Vanessa mocks in a deep voice, causing a chuckle from me. "He actually made me feel like he was interested in more than just my looks, which is a first for me."
"The opposite for me." I mumble. She laughs, then sighs.
"Whatever. I think you're beautiful and I'm sure Kian would agree."
"Did he say that to you?" My head shoots up, my eyes widening and my face heating up. She shrugs.
"Doesn't have to. Actions speak louder than words and I can definitely tell by the way he looks at you he finds you appealing to the eyes." She smirks. "He gets this glisten in his eyes whenever you're near him, and he spaces everyone else out and only notices you. He forgot I even existed just a few minutes ago!" I laugh. "And that smile. It's that smile."
"What smile?" I ask, slightly confused. His smile was adorable. It caused butterflies to jump in my stomach. No, forget that: the butterflies would freaking EXPLODE.
"That one smile every boy gets when they see the girl they like happy." She glances at me and this time I don't tell her to keep her eyes on the road, since by now we've already pulled into the driveway.
It seems like we've been having this conversation forever when in reality it only lasted ten minutes.
"Maybe I'm blind but I could definitely see some sort of connection there between the two of you." She unbuckles her seatbelt. "Maybe you should ditch Flávio and date Kian instead."