Writing Challenge Day 8

Day 8 - the power of music

How apt that I took a few days off writing as I sit here on July 3rd watching the premiere of Hamilton on Disney+. The power of music is very fitting topic.

Music like movies have played a very important role in my life. It can completely change a mood, attitude, demeanor. This play is incredible and I can't believe that I have not had the chance to see this play yet!

When I was younger I can see looking back I can see where I was defined by my music. Maybe not the healthiest choice. Now as an adult I have a very eclectic musical taste.  And I like so many different things because like I mentioned in the previous piece about films and movies that I attach emotion to these and it's the same with music.

There are for sure times in my life I felt defined by the music I was listening to. But there were also those times where I just DGAF and would drive around blaring anything from Metallica to the Little Mermaid soundtrack to the Gatlin Brothers to 2Live Crew and this was all within a few hours time!

Today if you press shuffle on my iTunes you could get anything for death metal to Christian hymns.

It's about sound, and emotion. At least for me I don't like silence, it lets the mind wander too much.  I have to have something on, the soundtrack of my life I dare say.

Even though I said at times music defined who I thought I was at the time, I can honestly say that those "phases" have made me into the person I am today. Each of those periods in my life were amazing when I was in the moment. Looking back a lot of those times I was just a kid, even though some of those times I was clearly not a kid.

It's funny how as much as I enjoy music I find that I don't listen to as much music as I did. I spend most of my time in the car listening to podcasts now.

I am now wondering why it is that as we age we spend less time enjoying the music of our youth? I think for me some of it is that I know the past is over and for me there is no going back. So I just keep moving forward. So as I sit here having enjoyed watching Hamilton.  It's a busy holiday weekend and I have a lot to do. I enjoyed the musical and want to see it live.

So something I learned is I will not be defined by anything but being me.  So this weekend I will play more music and enjoy life and just relax a bit!

Hate this is short but as I said busy weekend