Chapter 4: Jayne

Sleep was not a luxury I enjoyed on Sunday night. I got a call yesterday from a nice lady who told me I was to report to HR and they were excited to have me on board. She briefly confirmed my salary and benefits, which came as a complete shock to me since I had accepted the job without knowing what it paid.

If that isn't the definition of desperation, I don't know what is.

It turns out that it was almost double my last wage which would go a long way to getting me into a nicer apartment. I guess that's the difference between a start up and a successful company.

So an hour before my alarm was supposed to go off this morning, I gave up and headed for the shower to get ready.

It's quiet as I walk into the lobby of the building. A few people are spread throughout the area talking to security and sitting on the couches that line the front windows.

I opted for tan flare trousers with nude heels and a white wrap around blouse. I'm on the curvy side, although my judgemental mother would call it fat, so the heels should make my legs look leaner. Looking around, I think it was a good choice. Professional, but nothing that stands out.

Taking a deep breath, I walk over to a group of women standing together to ask directions to HR. As I clear my throat to speak, they turn in unison to look at me and I am momentarily taken aback by their poise as they glare down their noses at me in silent judgement.

They are all done up so tight that they look like they could unravel at any moment. Everything is in perfect place. Their tight skirts and shirts are immaculate and for 7:30 in the morning, their makeup is flawless.

Standing in front of them, I'm immediately glad that I can't see my reflection in any mirrors.

Glancing from one to the other, my thoughts go to a story I read as a child as I think one of these things is not like the others and my confidence wavers. As I begin to speak, I hear a crash behind me. Turning to look, I notice an older man has tripped on one of the carpets and dropped his briefcase.

"Sir, are you okay?" I rush over to help him back to his feet and look over my shoulder to the women for help. I'm met with ice-cold daggers as they collectively turn to walk away without a word. Heaven forbid they should break a nail trying to be kind.

I hope everyone here isn't like them.

"I'm fine. I just didn't see the carpet. Only bruised my pride, my dear." He winces as I bend over to pick up his briefcase and hand it back to him.

"Well if it makes you feel any better, it was a rather graceful fall." I try to lighten the mood as I feel someone walk up behind me and clear their throat.