Chapter 11: Jayne

"Please tell me you remembered the apricot brandy this time. Sangria Saturday will suck donkey balls with no actual sangria in it." Lauren announces as she steps into the cabin.

"I've got everything for Margarita Friday, Sangria Saturday and Hangover Sunday." Tina replies as we head across the room into our big hug.

I've missed these two so much. Growing up, I had some friends here and there but nothing stuck for me. We lived close to a military base so the families, and my friends, came and went.

The year following my dad's death was rough and I secluded myself away from reaching out to new connections. Evelyn was non-existent during that time as she was out looking for her next sucker.

I met Lauren at a local beach bar near our cabin. She was staying close to the beach with her boyfriend at the time. That guy was a real piece of work. They began to fight at the table beside me and he held the fact that she had no way back into town over her head to compel her to give in and let him walk all over her. When he got up to use the washroom, I quickly introduced myself, told her I had a cabin and she was welcome to crash with me and I'd drive her back in the morning when I left for home. When he came back, she stood her ground and sure enough, the shithead stood up and left her there.

We've been friends ever since.

Tina lived in my building a few doors down with her boyfriend, Kyle, at the time. He's now her husband and he is so good for her. I met Kyle at our building's mailbox one day and we got to talking. He told me they were new to the city and he was working, but she wasn't and he was hoping she could meet some local friends. I bumped into her a couple of days after and invited her out for coffee which turned into late night wine fests at my place. They saved up enough money to open their own deli and moved to a better area to start their family and she is so busy but every time we meet up again, it is like no time has passed.

"Dinner's almost ready and I'll get the fire started so we can eat on the beach." I almost sing out as I head toward the door leading to the trail in the trees. I absolutely love it here.

* * *

Dinner was a quiet affair. Whenever Tina cooks it is always amazing and it's tough to use your mouth for talking when you are shoveling food into your face. This is why their deli is doing so well.

"How much longer until this place is yours?" Lauren breaks our dinner silence. Lauren and Tina are the only people who know about my struggles with my beach house.

"Five weeks left." I answer as I look out over the water. "About 35 days and the worst part is finally over."

And there it is. It all comes down to five more weeks.

The day I turn 25 is the day that the cottage and the land it is located on becomes mine, and only mine.

Due to an oversight with my father's most recent will, my mother was able to challenge it in court. That will stated everything was to be given to me. Everything. Since she won the challenge, it was rendered null and the previous will was used in its place. His previous will was written when they were still happily married and he awarded her all of his money and assets with the exception of the beach house and land. It was to be put in a trust for me and released when I turned 25.

My mother has control over the trust right now, but the will stipulates she will make no money off of it. If she deems the property to be falling apart, she can sell it, then the money made will go into the trust for me and will be released on my 25th birthday.

I believe without a doubt this is the only reason she hasn't sold it yet.

Either way she gets nothing from it.

But if she keeps it, she gets to hold it over me like a carrot to a mule and when she says jump, I jump or she sells the property. She knows it isn't about the money. I never cared that she gladly took all of his money. I had enough. I have enough if I have our cabin. I will never sell my home. They bought it for $25,000, 22 years ago. The land alone is worth 100 times that amount now.

I won't ever let it go.

"So five weeks left of dancing for the bitch then." Tina's bluntness always makes me smile.

"I say cheers to that." Lauren raises her margarita to toast and we all giggle and raise our glasses.

As the sun sets our conversation moves from Tina's business to Lauren's life in the new city and as the drinks flow more freely the conversation turns more candid. Tina is just done telling us about the day her two-year old found her vibrator and brought it out to show everyone during Easter dinner when Lauren asks me about my new job.

The memory of my last conversation with my bosses surges into my mind and I visually jolt at the reminder of my week.

"Something tells me there is a story here, Jay." Lauren turns to square herself in my direction and I know I'm not getting out of this without sharing.

"Sorry, I just wasn't in the headspace for the question. My first week went really well. I work in an area with one other person, Janice. She's the secretary for the two guys who own the company. I work on any additional tasks that need to be done." I know I'm holding back, but I haven't given myself enough time to think about my bosses to go on unless they ask.

"And these bosses. What are they like?" There it is. Lauren isn't letting this go and she's asking the question like she already knows the answer.

"Uhmmm. They are good at what they do. I see where they want to take their company and it is a great vision. They are wonderful bosses to work for. They made me feel comfortable in my first week..." I trail off trying to decide how I want to describe them when Lauren cuts me off.

"Oh shut up, Jayne! I Google-stalked them. They are gorgeous."

I hang my head.

Busted.

"I know, right?" Raising my gaze back up I put my hands to the sides of my head in false agony. "Do you know how hard it has been to concentrate this week? But I'm legit serious, I don't want to think about them like that. They're my bosses and this job is everything I need right now. Evelyn's boyfriend recommended me for it and I can't mess it up."

"Oh come on, Jayne. Everyone deserves happiness where they can find it. Which one do you like?" I get the feeling that Tina is trying to live a little vicariously through me.

"I'm not picking." I try to shut the conversation down and fail miserably as my two closest friends giggle like school girls around the fire.

"You can tell us." Tina taunts.

"No, I don't mean I'm not telling you which one I want, it's that I don't think I could choose. They're both someone I would have been happy with if I didn't work for them. You've seen them Lauren, what else can I say about the physical attraction?" I start and Lauren nods in agreement with me and motions for me to continue. "But working with them this week, they are both more than how they look. Declan has a way of making me feel calm and secure. I respond to the authority in his management style. Lucas has a way of challenging me and I feel vulnerable when I am near him for some reason. I feel like I need to confess to him that I took some post-it notes from the office on Thursday." I say to giggles from the Peanut Gallery and I try to change the subject. "Anyway, I'm going to mention the deli to them for lunch soon."

Tina smiles in appreciation. "Thanks. I'll even deliver, but only because I love you, Jayne."

"Please." Lauren draws out. "She just wants to get a look at your bosses."

"That's exactly true." Tina slurs and with the dying fire we call it a night and head back to the cabin.

The rest of the weekend flies by too quickly then all of a sudden we are packing back up on Sunday afternoon.

As I drive away from the cabin this time, I expect to feel a rush of sadness hit me, and it is there but it isn't as powerful as it has been in the past.

Maybe it's because I am so close to owning the place completely.

Maybe.

Or maybe not.

As we get closer to the city, I realize my thoughts aren't on leaving the cabin so much as an eagerness toward getting into work on Monday.