Chapter 14: Declan

I have a decent cocktail dress, but it's slightly low cut and I don't want to be... inappropriate.

I let out a chuckle to myself as I replay Jayne's words from yesterday morning in my head. I thought I would have to have Lucas sedated after her exquisite admission. The poor guy didn't come out of his office again until after lunch when he announced he was leaving for the day.

Staring at the computer screen, my finger traces along the mouse as I read an email from our father. It looks like the cat will be let out of the bag soon as Howard and Evelyn are inviting their kids over to meet each other during lunch on Saturday.

My only thoughts are of Jayne. What will her reaction be? Howard didn't want us to mention our family when we hired her so she wouldn't feel like she was getting special treatment, but I have no idea if he has spoken to her since or if he knows we still haven't said anything. I can only assume he hasn't because Jayne would have mentioned something. So, if he didn't tell her, did he tell Evelyn? Or did it just slip his mind?

Typing out my response, I confirm for both myself and Lucas and make a mental note to arrive a little early. I want to be prepared to get a good look at little Jayne's face when she finds out about us. Especially since we have plans for her the night before.

I feel a small tinge of guilt at what we are about to do without telling her who we are, but it fades quickly when I think about the chance we could lose her if we do nothing and I'm not willing to sit idly by and let Evelyn ruin this for us.

Watching Jayne this past week, I don't for a second believe that she is her mother's daughter. I don't believe that Evelyn's greed or depth of cruelty extends to Jayne.

I have seen kindness pour out of Jayne. She laughs unabashedly and she is trusting to a fault. She is respectful and unconsciously compliant. She is everything Lucas and I want and on Friday, we're going to push her until we find out if she could feel the same way about us.

I need her to feel secure in exploring herself with us further before she sits in front of Howard and Evelyn on Saturday. I need her to at least know that is an option that we both want.

I walk out to Jayne's desk to ask for one of our annual reports she has been working on and pause when I see she is on the phone. Janice is on the phone as well so I sit in between them looking nowhere in particular but attempting to eavesdrop in on Jayne's conversation since she looks annoyed.

"I'm not sure if I can make it... Well no, but I was going to..." She sighs as she is cut off again. It sounds like she isn't going to win whatever good fight she is fighting. As she listens I notice her hand slowly reach across her desk and pick up the tiny shell by her photo frame.

I notice out of the corner of my vision she has closed her eyes and is focused on listening to the person on the other end while she caresses the shell. She takes one last deep breath, places the shell back and resigns herself to her defeat. "Okay, fine... Yes. I'll see you on Saturday... for lunch. Goodbye."

So she will be in attendance as well.

As she reaches across her desk to hang up, her eyes discover me waiting near her and she takes a soft breath and pushes a smile onto her face. "Were you waiting for me?"

I stand and ask her about the reports.

"Yes, I am just waiting on marketing for their final numbers. I can send the report through now, then send an updated version once it is complete if you would like?"

Always such a good team player.

"No, that's okay. I'm heading out for a lunch meeting. I'll get it on the way back into the office." I turn to leave, then remember one of our deadlines this week. "Actually Jayne, can you organize lunch for you, Lucas and myself for tomorrow. I forgot we need to have a working lunch to walk you through the planning stages of a charity event we hold each fall as we would like you to coordinate it this year." Her face lights up at the word charity and I am even more convinced that she isn't Evelyn's daughter.

"Can I recommend a place for lunch? A friend of mine owns a deli with her husband close by and I think you'll really like it. I can email you their menu this afternoon." She waits for my approval.

My approval.

I like it when she asks my permission.

I like it a lot.

"Of course. Send it over. Copy Lucas as well." I say then walk back into my office.