Chapter 15: Jayne

"Tina, hey it's Jayne. Can I get some lunch delivered to the Hale offices on Wednesday at lunch?"

"Tomorrow? No shit, really?"

"Yes, really. But do you think you can reign in the potty mouth when you show? I want the office to be able to order from you again." I laugh into the phone.

I know Tina and Kyle will knock the meal out of the park. They make the best gourmet sandwiches around. I dictate Declan and Lucas's order then ask for my usual and let her go. I can hear raised voices in the background and I know they are getting busy.

The rest of Tuesday goes by without incident and I still haven't seen too much of Lucas this week. I overheard Declan tell Janice to take messages for him. He's working with the tech department on a new security program for the building and he would be back on Wednesday.

I miss talking with both brothers together. One on one they are great, but when they are together I feel like they make up a complete set. They compliment each other well.

* * *

Wednesday morning flies by as I work to wrap up the last bit of reports for the week and I begin to research the charity event I will be coordinating with Lucas and Declan. The annual gala raises money to provide improved educational programs in schools located in inner city areas and also offers scholarships and mentoring opportunities to promising students within those areas.

I'm lost in media coverage of the previous year's gala when the elevator opens and Tina makes a beeline straight for my desk. I can already see Janice getting ready to ask her what she is doing on the floor so I stand to welcome Tina and give Janice a nod allowing her access to the area.

"Oh my God, Jayne. Look at you all professional." She looks me over and I realize she has only really seen me in my casual clothes, or my swimsuits.

It's now I realize I have different versions of myself that I share at different times and I'm thankful my worlds don't collide too often. I'm most relaxed around Lauren and Tina. They know everything about me. I'm professional at work, although I find I am becoming more relaxed around my bosses.

It's no surprise I'm at my worst around my mother. I can barely hold my contempt in around her these days. Thus the need for her to dangle my inheritance in front of me when she needs me to cooperate. I don't imagine I'll be making a great first impression with Howard's family on Saturday.

"So, where are they?" Tina leans in to whisper, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I can't help but smirk at her impatience as I pick up the phone and call Declan to let him know lunch is here if they would like to start early, and he invites us in.