Chapter 13: Jayne

I had the best sleep last night after our weekend away. Being back there always relaxes me and the fresh air is a killer sedative.

Janice is already in when I arrive and she seems really happy today. Dropping my things around my desk, I turn everything on and sit down as my email opens and so does the door to Declan's office.

"Good morning, Janice. Jayne." Declan stands near his door as Lucas steps out behind him. Declan seems positively confident this morning while his brother looks a little agitated.

"Good morning, Mr. Hale. Thank you for the office invitation on Friday. I can't wait." Janice beams out from behind her desk and I look back to my email to try to find out what she is talking about.

Locating the email, I quickly scan it only partly aware of their continuing conversation.

"Jayne?" Janice calls me out of my concentration.

"I'm sorry. I was just reading the email. What did you say?" I feel my cheeks tingle as everyone's eyes are on me and Declan and Lucas are now standing closer to my desk.

"Can you make it on Friday? You will love our office dinners. I'll take any reason to dress up fancy. I think you'll really enjoy it." Her voice is a little higher with excitement now and I look to see both of my bosses intently waiting for my reply.

I look back at my computer and click my acceptance. "Just accepted." I answer as I smile back up at everyone. Janice clasps her hands briefly then turns back to her computer to start her work.

"That's great news. We're happy you can make it." Declan's confidence visually increases and Lucas is still more reserved than I have ever seen him.

Taking a mental note of my wardrobe at home, I'm not sure if I should head out to pick up something if this is going to be such an extravagant affair. I have heard of the restaurant they are taking us to. It's higher end and difficult to get a reservation and I want to make sure, for a work affair, I don't go too overboard. Not that I would. It'd be more likely I would be underdressed. My style is a lot more casual and I've been meaning to pick up some nicer outfits after my first pay check.

I stand up from my seat and lean in to Declan and Lucas's space to quietly ask their thoughts on my dress. I'm not as comfortable with Janice as I have become around the two guys. "Can you give me an idea of the dress code? I just want to know if I should go shopping this week. I think I have a decent cocktail dress, but it's slightly low cut and I don't want to be... inappropriate."

Declan's expression changes briefly as he considers my question.

Without a word to either of us Lucas turns away from our conversation and, with his fists clenched, he walks across the room and into his office, audibly closing his door.

Declan watches him leave then turns his focus back to me to answer and his voice sounds controlled but calm. "I'm sure it will be fine. Think of it as dinner with friends."