[ iii ]

sipping hot water from the company's water dispenser felt good after a long vocal practice on that cold day for jacob. water was amazing, but jacob was craving for something more frothy. he was done for the day anyways, so it wouldn't hurt to go across town to that one cafe that has the best frappes. putting on a mask and a baseball cap, jacob exited the building with his belongings.

taking a taxi, jacob thought the ride was quite peaceful. it was around 4 in the evening and traffic wasn't abundant. the heater was warming up the car so jacob removed his mask, planning to put it back on after getting off. it slowly started to get cloudy. jacob did notice, but brushed it off. he wouldn't be outside for long either. he got off at the cafe, after paying the cabbie for the ride. as he was stuffing his wallet in his bag, he noticed a 3 girls a few feet away squealing and pointing at him. at that moment, he realized. he didn't have his face covered anymore.

"damn it", jacob cursed under his breath and hastily entered the cafe. He didn't really look around and marched up straight (gAy) to the counter and ordered a small hot chocolate. once he did that, he dug through his bag for his mask and put it on. but by that time the fan girls were waiting for him outside the cafe, joined by more. jacob noticed and turned his back to the door.

he looked around the cafe and saw that not a lot of people were there. probably due to the cold. jacob wondered if the start of winter was going to be this cold, how cold would winter be? sighing deeply, he heard his name being called. accepting the hot chocolate from the barista, he wondered how he could get past the fans outside the cafe.

he walked towards the door and bravely stepped out. the fans besieged him and shoved their phones in his face with the camera on. he tried to politely shrug off the ones that were clinging to his arm. right then, a warm hand slipped into his and he was pulled away from the girls. the one who dragged him was sprinting and he could only see a tuft of dark hair, slightly curly. right then, he recognized the hand. it was kevin.

kevin didn't stop until they reached his apartment. but, halfway through, it had started raining and by the time they reached, it was pouring heavily. both of them were quite soaked and shivered through the cold. they stood outside kevin's apartment, in the lobby of the building, both panting and catching their breath.

"i couldn't leave you alone to deal with those fan girls. they can be vicious at times", kevin was the first to speak. it had been so long, yet they weren't exactly uneasy with each other's presence, even if the last conversation between them was an argument. lightning cackled at that moment and the lights went off in the building. a darkness engulfed the two of them in the lobby.

"i should get a taxi to get home. um, thank you for saving me back then."

"what? no! no taxi will take you home in this weather! on top of that, you're completely soaked. you might fall ill. i can't let you go like this!"

"why? why are you helping me? it's been years since we last talked"

"i-i'm a fan of your music. but that's it! plus, if i was to let you go in this weather, i don't think i would consider myself human."

kevin turned on the flashlight on his phone and started ascending the stairs, as the elevator wasn't working due to the power cut. "keep up, mr. bae, it's quite dark."

and so, jacob followed him.