8| Failed Experiments

"Hey, Roger. Can I get two Stellas and a scotch, please?"

The owner of Down the Rabbit Hole gave me a sharp nod. "You got it, Nate. How's your sister been? Haven't seen her in here in awhile." 

I took a seat on the bar stool to take some of the pressure off my leg. "She's good. She hasn't gotten out much since she's had the baby, though. She sends her best." 

Roger sat the two beers in front of me and started to prepate my whiskey. "That's great. I can't wait to meet the little guy. We should get together for lunch with Beatrice. She would love that. She's been nagging me about seeing the baby since she found out Lanie was pregnant!" 

"I don't doubt it," I laughed. 

Lanie and I have known Roger and his lovely wife Beatrice for about five years. We found this place after our parents died and we bonded with Roger right away. This place has been our little escape ever since. 

"We should definitely get together," I said as he set my whiskey next to the beers. I went to grab our drinks and Roger stopped me. 

"Hey, Nate?"

I turned back towards him. "Yeah?"

Roger cursed under his breath and glanced away from me. I could tell whatever he had to tell me wasn't good news. "There's a chance I may have to shut down the bar."

My eyes went wide. "What the fu—are you serious? Why?"

Roger threw his bar rag over his shoudler. "I've got some stuff going on at home and I haven't been able to concentrate on bringing in more money. I can probably squeeze a few more months out of it, but that's it. I wanted you to know becasue I consider you guys friends." 

I dropped my head and cursed under my breath. This was so fucked up. Roger and Beatrice were good people and didn't deserve this shit. Down the Rabbit Hole wasn't just a bar. It was a place people came to when they wanted to have a good time or when they needed an escape. The owners were great and even the patrons were pretty stand up people. About ninety percent of the customers in here were regulars. Most of us have gotten to know each other and we had each other's backs. 

I looked back at Roger and held out my hand. "We'll think of something, Rog. You have my word." 

Roger's expression remained doubtful but he shook by hand. "Thanks, Nate. I appreciate that." 

I grabbed the drinks and went back to the table where Ayden was waiting. I handed him his Stella and sat the other one in front of the empty seat. Jackson should be here any minute. 

"Thanks," Ayden said and took a swig of his beer. "Jackson's almost here." 

I sat back in my chair and gazed around the bar. It seemed shitty that it might have to close down. Hopefully we could figure out some way to save it. The main door to the bar opened and drew my attention. Jackson waved as he joined us at our table. 

"Hey!" Ayden got to his feet and greeted Jackson with a clap on the back. "Bout time you got here. Nate was getting antsy." 

Jackson laughed as he took his seat. "Apologies, mate. Harper took a little longer getting ready." He took a big gulp of the Stella I brought him. "You know women." 

Ayden laughed. "Yeah, Lanie is the same way. What is it with these women?" 

Jackson held his beer. "Cheers to that, mate." 

We all took a drink. Then another. Then another. Then we ordered another round. 

"So, what's new with you gents?" Jackson asked casually. "It's been awhile since we've all hung out."