44| Reminiscing

"Come on," Karma begged. "At least gimme a hint!"

"Not a chance."

"Why not?"

I smiled and kept my eyes on the road in front of me. "Because, gorgeous, it's a surprise. You do know what a surprise is, don't you?"

Karma huffed from the passenger seat and I bit back my smile. She hated surprises. She always said she couldn't stand the anticipation of waiting. Clearly, that hasn't changed. That was one reason I didn't want anyone to know about my plans tonight. She would have called Harper and Lanie and gotten it out of them.

I jumped a little in my seat when Karma reached across the center console and laid her hand on my thigh. She leaned towards me and placed soft, teasing kisses to my neck before tugging on my ear lightly.

"Nathan, please tell me where we're going." She moved her hand up my thigh towards my now throbbing dick. It didn't help that the yellow sundress she was wearing had a deep V neck and I could see her breasts from the corner of my eye.

"Tell me," she whispered in my ear, sending chills throughout my body. "Tell me and I'll give you a surprise."

I stopped her hand before she could stroke me through my jeans. "Nope. Nice try, gorgeous."

She groaned and returned to her normal sitting position on her side of the car. "Fine, but I'm mad at you now."

I snickered but didn't say anything. She wasn't mad. Not really. She was just dying to know what I had planned. She didn't have to wait much longer. Ten minutes later, I turned into a very familiar parking lot.

"Nathan..." Karma sat up in her seat and looked out of the window with wide eyes. "This is-this is..."

"The Coney Island Carnival," I finished for her.

The last time we were here was for my birthday a few weeks ago. But everything between us was different then. The last time we were at the actual Carnival was when we were eighteen. We had come here several times when we were dating, but this is where I first got her to go out with me.

"I can't believe it!"

I got out of the car and went to her side to open the door. When she stepped out onto the pavement, she covered her mouth with her hand.

"I can't believe we're here." She turned to me with a sparkle in her eyes. "I thought you said you didn't want to come back here. You said it wasn't a good idea."

I closed the small distance between us and cupped her face in my hands. "I said that because, at the time, we weren't together. At the time, I was trying not to fall in love with you again. Coming back here-to a place that held so many memories for us-would hurt to bad. I knew that if we went down memory lane one of us would get hurt."

Karma wore her hair braided tonight. The long plaited rope kept me from running my fingers through it. Instead, I stroked her cheek with my thumb and let the feeling of her soft skin give me the strength to say what I needed her to hear.

"I was trying so hard not to fall in love with you again, that I was blind to the truth."

"What truth?" Her voice was so low I almost didn't hear her.

"The truth was that I never stopped being in love with you. Not for one day, baby." I stepped back and held my hand out to her. "So, what do you say?"

She sucked her bottom lip between her teeth before she took the hand I offered her. "Let's do it."

I didn't miss the squeal of excitement she made when I bought our tickets and we went inside. Her eyes datred everywhere from the Wonder Wheel to the game tents to the vendors. She wrung her hands together, barely able to contol her joy.