25| Second Chances

Friday. Today...was fucking Friday.

I glanced at the large clock on the living room wall of Karma's parents' home. After I helped Karma prepare dinner, she went upstairs to take a shower. Now, I was waiting impatiently for her to return. My biggest fear was that her parents would arrive before she came downstairs.

Ever since I woke up this morning, my anxiety was at an all-time high. I kept telling myself it was because of the impending dinner and not the fact that my time with Karma was coming to an end. After the day we had yesterday in bed, I'm surprised the urge to be with her was still so strong. It took all of my energy not to climb those stairs, take my clothes off, and-

"Hank, slow down!"

Holy shit. I turned and saw Karma's parents coming in through the hallway; which meant they must have entered through the garage. I eyed the stairs, debating if I should make a run for it. Karma promised that she would be down here before they got here. I took three steps towards the stairs...

"Nate!" Karma's father called as he turned the corner with his wife. "It's so good to see you, son."

I turned and placed my hand in Hank's outstretched one. "Mr. Fitzgerald, it's so good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?"

He shook my hand and nodded respectfully. "Still a good kid I see. I'm doing well." He pointed in the direction of the stairs. "Karma told us you flew down here to help support her and us through this. I can't thank you enough."

I waved his thanks away. "It's the least I could do. Karma is upstairs getting ready. We have dinner ready for you guys in the over."

Mrs. M came over and gave me a hug. "Hello, Nate. Thank you so much for all of this."

"Of course, Mrs. M. I'm happy to help."

Karma's mom glanced to her husband. "Hank, why don't you go wash up and I'll be right behind you."

Hank snorted at his wife and shook his head at me. "I'm not even home ten minutes and she's bossing me around."

Laughter filled the room and Hank left us alone. I wanted to follow after him. I did not want to be here alone with Mrs. M. There were too many secrets between us and we haven't even talked since I kind of went off on her in the car. I wasn't trying to be a disrespectul ass, but feelings that had been buried all those years came rushing to the surface. Mainly anger.

I cleared my throat. "Mrs. M, I just want to apologize for how I behaved the last time we talked. I didn't mean to talk to you that way."

"I appreciate that, Nate, but it's alright. I understand where you were coming from." She glanced at the stairs and lowered her vocie so she wasn't overheard. "Nate, I really appreciate what you're doing. Not telling Karma. I know it's probably selfish of me to say that."

"Yes, it is." I sighed before I added, "But you're welcome. I don't want her upset." My chest tightened. "I won't say anything to her. I promise."

"Mama!" Karma flew down the stairs and embraced her mother. "Where's dad?"

"He's in his room cleaning up." Mrs. M glanced at me briefly. "Nate and I were just catching up. I'm going to go get ready for dinner myself. I'm starving."

Karma chuckled. "Okay, mama. Nathan and I will get the food and the table ready."

Karma waited until her mom was out of sight before she walked up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. "You are looking quite handsome tonight."

The corner of my mouth lifted. "You are looking quite gorgeous, yourself."

I pressed my lips against hers and gave her a soft kiss. I could taste a mixture of her peppermint toothpaste mixed with that of Karma. She tightened her arms around my next and parted her lips. I didn't waste any time. I stroked my tongue against hers, wanting as much time with her as I could get. Maybe we could still do this friends with benefits thing in New York... No, Nate. We couldn't do that. I hated lying to her already. I hated keeping the truth from her when I knew the memory of our breakup still caused her pain. I would only cause her more by telling her.