33| Jealous Jules

"I'm surprised you showed up."

I glared at Jules from across the table. I met her at an outdoor café to talk about this whole baby nonsense. I hated leaving Karma at her house. Even though we talked, I knew she was still upset and confused. She had every right to be. But...fuck. When I showed up at her place to find her gone, I freaked. I couldn't get ahold of her, either. My mind flipped back to the night I left her in that hotel room.

Even though it wasn't the same, I felt like I got to experience what she did that night. At least, a little. It made me hate myself even more for what I had done. It was one of the reasons I was dying to get back to her. I wasn't lying when I told her I wanted to talk about us. I wanted more with her and I knew she wanted the same. It was the past that was keeping us apart. Well, the past and the blonde sitting across from me.

"Of course I'm here," I said to Jules. "You know I'm not the father of your baby."

Jules checked her freshly manicured nails and avoided looking at me. "Of course it is. I haven't been with anyone else."

"Ha!" I slapped my hand on the table. "Sorry," I said with a chuckle. "That's a good one. Jules, you are a serial non-monogamous. I know for a fact that, even when I'm on leave, you see other men."

She still wouldn't look at me. My voice softened when I continued. "But Jules...that's the arrangement we had. We were never in a relationship. I never once told you I loved you or led you to believe that there was more between us."

When she met my stare, her eyes seemed hollow. Empty. "This baby is yours."

Was she even listening? "Jules, think about it. When was the last time we had sex?"

"February."

I held up my hand. "Yes. February. It's January, Jules. That's a lot longer than forty weeks." I gestured to her growing stomach. "By the looks of it, you aren't even full term."

"What do you know!" she nearly screamed, causing the other patrons to look at us.

I leaned forward in my chair and rested my arms on the table. "Jules, you need to admit the truth. Once you do, we can work this out."

She was quiet for awhile. She just sat and stared at me. I felt my phone vibrate and I knew it was either Karma or Lanie. I pulled it out of my pocket.

Little Sis: What happened? Did you find Karma? Did you talk to Jules?

"Is that the slut?"

My eyes shot to my ex-fling. "Watch your fucking mouth, Jules. I shouldn't even be here. We both know that baby isn't mine. Not to mention, you ignored the restraining order." For good measure, I added, "And not that it's any of your business, but it's Lanie. Remember Lanie? My sister that you nearly sent into pre-term labor?"

She actually looked ashamed when I threw that in her face. Good. She should be. Nothing about what she did was excusable. "I never meant for that to happen. I just can't stand her."

I shook my head slowly. "Wow. Why did I ever waste my time with you?"

She seemed unfazed by my words. "So, you got me. This isn't your child. You must think I'm an idiot or something."

"I never thought you were an idiot, Jules. But this? This is beyond anything I would ever think you would do." I leaned forward in my chair. "You threatened to destroy my family. Then you tried to tie me to you forever by saying that I'm the father of your baby. Why, Jules?"

She was quiet for a long while. She kept looking everywhere except at me. She kept tapping her fingers on the table. Taking sips of her tea.

I was growing impatient. "Jules!"