24| Dream A Little Dream

I grabbed the two cups of fresh coffee I made off of the counter and made my way upstairs. Today was Thursday. That meant I had, at most, till Saturday morning to keep this little deal going with Karma. Was I going to be able to walk away from her again? I had no idea. This time was different. She knew that we only had a limited time together. But still...

These past few days with Karma have been extraordinary. I forgot how well we fit together. How well we were together. I thought I had the best sex of my life with her when we were together all those years ago. Now, it was ten times better than that. It was...earth-shattering. How could I enjoy sex with anyone else after her? 

I didn't have a choice, though. If this 'aggrement' continued when we got back to New York, it was only a matter a time before one or both of us wanted more. In order to have that, we were going to have to talk about the reason I left her; and they was something I could never tell her.

So, I just had to accept that we only had less than forty-eight hours left together and then it was back to being—cringe—friends. Now in a sour mood, I climbed the stairs to the second floor. 

I paused for a moment when I walked into our, I mean her, bedroom. She was still naked from our lovemaking the night before. Half of her body was covered. Her dark hair was in a messy bun. She was still in the same position when I slid her off of my chest after I woke up. 

When she started to stir, I walked to my side of the bed. I carefully climbed into the bed and sat up agaisnt the headboard. 

I held out her coffee. "Good morning, gorgeous." 

She beamed up at me before sitting up next to me in the same position. She tucked the sheet around her naked body before she took the mug. "Thank you." 

"No problem."

We sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before Karma leaned forward and ran her finger along the scar on my injured leg.

"How is it today? We can probably fit in another—"

"Three weeks."

She looked up at me and frowned. "What?"

My eyes met hers. "Ayden and I were lost in the desert for almost three weeks."

I could tell by her expression that she was just as surprised as me that I was confiding in her. To be honest, this was the first time I really spoke about it to anyone. Ayden tried to talk to me a few times about it, but I always blew him off.

"How did it happen?" she asked quietly.

I took a deep breath and leaned my head back against the headboard of Karma's bed. If I looked at her, I probably wouldn't be able to say what I needed to say.

"Ayden told me he was going for a walk, but I knew he was sneaking off to call Lanie."

"Because he still didn't know that you set them up," she stated.

I nodded. "He couldn't have been gone more than ten minutes before I heard the gunshots. He got ambushed. I'm surprised he wasn't hit." I pushed down the lump in my throat. "It took me a couple days to find him. He was unconscious in a shaded area."

I reached out and placed my hand on Karma's bare thigh. I just felt the overwhelming need to touch her.

"Once he was able to get to his feet, we started walking, and he said he needed to find his med-kit."

"Med-kit? He was a doctor?" Surprise was clear in her voice.

"Yeah. I was surprised myself. It seemed like he didn't want to fess up to it, but that's when I told him I had a right to know if you were sleeping with my sister."