9| Cat & Mouse

"I still don't understand it, Nathan."

I turned over on the blanket we had laid out on the grass. I rested my arms behind my head and looked up at the cloudy sky. "Don't understand what, gorgeous?"

Karma let out a heavy sigh. She was sitting with her legs crossed next to me, picking at some leaves that blew on the blanket. "You're interest in me. I mean-the girls you've dated before me..."

I sat up and cupped the side of her face with my hand. I stroked her cheek with my thumb as I looked into her eyes. "Karma, I love you because you aren't like the other girls I've dated. You're so much more."

I knew why she had her doubts and it was understandable. No matter how many times she asked, I was going to make sure she knew just how much she meant to me.

Karma looked away shyly. It was something she did frequently and it was the cutest thing. "I don't know about that."

"Come on," I whispered. "You're gorgeous. You're funny. You're witty and smart." Her eyes met mine again. "Plus, you drive me crazy."

She laughed and nibbled on her bottom lip. "You think so?"

"I know so," I promised. "I would follow you anywhere, Karma." My lips brushed hers lightly. "Kiss me."

She pulled back playfully. "Nope."

She got to her feet and I did the same.

"Come on, Karma. Lay one on me."

"I don't think so!" She started running from me, laughing as she did so. "You said you would follow me anywhere, right? Well, you gotta catch me to kiss me!"

I couldn't hold back my smile as I chased after her. I chased her around the park as she ducked behind trees. When I finally caught her, I scooped her up in my arms. She giggled and it sent chills down my spine.

"I told you I would follow you anywhere, Karma. Now, kiss me."

Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep

I groaned as I reached over and slapped my alarm clock into silence. I rubbed my hands over my face, trying to force myself to wake up. I carefully swung my legs over the side of my bed and sat there for a second to get my bearings. I've learned the hard way what would happen if I got up too fast.

I stretched my arms and grimaced when I felt a kink in my neck. Fuck. I felt like shit. I drank a lot last night. After seeing Karma look at me like I was a fucking stranger outside of that bar, I sent Blondie on her way. I definitely failed at trying to prove whatever I was trying to prove to myself. I saw her look at me like that only once before. Seeing it again was like rubbing salt in the wound.

So, I came back here and drank until I passed out. Now, I needed to take three showers so I didn't smell like a brewery before I go to my physical therapy appointment with Karma. I was originally going to bail, but there was no way I could do that now. If I bailed, she would think it's because I couldn't face her. I mean...it was kind of true. I wasn't sure what to say to her now. This whole thing was so fucked up. Why did it feel like I cheated on her?

Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep

When my second alarm went off, I knew I needed to hurry and get ready. My joints creaked and popped as I stood up. I walked out of my room and went straight to the bathroom down the hall. I did my normal morning routine and allowed myelf the joys of a hot shower. I wrapped the towel around my waist as I headed back into my room.