21| Just Like Old Times

"We didn't use a condom." My voice came out panicked. For fuck's sake, I was still inside her. 

Karma's face was a mixture of emotions. I couldn't discern one from the other. She covered her mouth with her hand. "Oh, God. Nathan!" Her eyes went wide. "I'm not—I'm not on birth control."

My heart stopped beating. I felt like I was having a heart attack or a stroke. Maybe a seizure. Then...she laughed. Hard 

"I'm just kidding," she said as she chortled. "I'm on the pill." 

I groaned and fell beside her on the bed. "That's not fucking funny, Karma. I thought I was going to have a panic attack." 

She was laughing so hard I thought she was going to run out of air. I had to admit though, it was good to hear her laugh. But I was going to pay her back for that. 

Once she sobered, I said, "It's all good. I forgive you." 

"Really?" she asked playfully. 

"Yeah," I breathed, "by the way, how was the sexcycling?"

I felt her body stiffen next to me. "What did you say?" 

I smiled to myself. I knew I was going to get into a lot of trouble for this, but it was too good to pass up. 

I turned my head towards Karma."Isn't it all about keeping your number down?" 

Her cheeks turned red with embarassment. She shot up in sitting position and looked at me with horror. "How did you know that?"

My cocky smile had no shame. "I was sitting at the table next to you when you were talking to your friend." 

Karma's mouth dropped before she grabbed her pillow and started hitting me with it. "You easedropper! I can't believe you listened!"

I laughed as I grabbed the pillow from her. "In my defense, I considered leaving. But then my name was brought up and I couldn't help myself." 

Karma glanced away from me and I didn't have to be a psychic to know why. She knew that if I listened to her whole conversation, then I heard everything. I sat up next to her and reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear. 

"Karma, look at me." 

After several moments, her eyes met mine. 

"Has it really been four years for you?" 

"Yes," she answered quickly. A little too quickly, actually. 

One thing that made me and Karma work so well all those years ago, was the fact that we called each other out on our bullshit. Karma was never a good liar. At least...she could never lie to me.

"You could never lie to me, gorgeous," I reminded her. 

She cleared her throat and took a deep breath. I tried to ignore the rise and fall of her breasts. It was nearly impossible. "It's been...twelve years." 

My stomach dropped. My breath froze in my lungs. My ears started ringing. "What did you say?" I asked her quietly. 

She grabbed her pillow from me and held it to the front of her naked body. She was never bashful in front of me and I could tell she was feeling cornered. She didn't want to talk about this. But that was the thing—we needed to talk about this. 

She kept her gaze low when she finally spoke. "After I moved to Florida, I didn't date for a long time. I wanted to focus on school and getting settled into a new place." She let out a long breath. "It was over a year before I tried to sleep with someone."