chapter twenty-two,

"Bye! Remember it's due Friday! So like in a day!" Eva yelled as her group member left the coffee shop.

"Yeah, I'll get it done!" She yelled back. "Or will I?" She said once outside and laughed while looking at Eva's worried face through the glass.

Eva sighed as she pulled her hair into a curly mess of a bun before running her hands over her tired face.

It was almost around finals week and Eva couldn't feel more stressed. She sipped on her watery cold americano that was diluted due to the melted ice.

She looked at the messy table covered in different highlighters and pens with different colored sticky notes and ripped out notebook pages.

As she was about to close her laptop she decided to call her mom.

Luckily her mom picked up on the first call.

"Oh! Seevali!" She asnwered.

"As-Salaam-Alaikum, mummy!" Eva cheered as she saw her mom resting on their sofa.

"Wa-Alaikum-Salaam, dear. How're you? Studying hard?" Ameena asked.

"Gosh, ma. Can you ask about anything other than school?" Eva complained and her mother scoffed.

"I did, I asked how you are doing. You just did not respond." She sassed and Eva laughed. "I ask you that, Eva, because your hair is up in a bun and you have the pencils stuck in them... you used to do that all the time when you were stressed," 

"Oh, yeah..." Eva said chuckling lightly as she removed the pens from her bun.

"Seevali, what is that?" Her mother asked sternly getting closer to her phone.

"Ah? What?" Eva asked confused.

"On your hand!"

"My hand..?" Eva asked before looking at both her hands and realized Ameena meant her ring.

Her engagement ring.

The engagement her mother did not know about. 

The sleep-deprived Eva had let the secret out.

"Mummy..."

"Eva! You got engaged and did not tell me!" Her mother yelled. Needless to say, Eva was glad she was wearing headphones.

"Mummy, I was gonna tell you eventually."

"When? At the wedding?! That's if I was even invited." Her mother sassed.

"Ugh, ma. You're so dramatic." Eva rolled her eyes. "Yea, I'm getting married. And I was gonna tell you but I wanted to graduate first because you guys always make a fuss of it. Plus Ahmed... I know you guys really liked him." Eva said sheepishly. Suddenly she felt a sudden wave of embarrassment and guilt wash over her when she mentioned Ahmed.

"Yes, we did. But you didn't. Your papa and I aren't going to married to him so it doesn't matter. Plus, I didn't raise my daughter to be a housewife." Ameena sneered.

"Jee, mama, jee. I know. I just... I did like him. But did I want to marry him? It's all different, mama. Niall is different from Ahmed and he makes me feel different." Eva said.

"Niall?"

"Oh yea, his name is Niall Horan." She said and smiled once she thought of her fiance.

"He's not Arab is he?" Her mom asked.

"Try not to sound too disappointed." Eva chuckled.

"You know why I am saying this, Eva."

"Mama, he's Irish but it's fine!"