chapter twenty-three,

Eva had finally gotten home after walking home from work. Her legs were aching and her arms were sore. She laid on the couch as she remembered walking with Niall after her night shifts in the past.

She sighed as she wondered what her boyfriend was doing.

Niall was currently in Austrialia. She looked at her phone and realized he was probably free.

She decided to text him.

"Hey Ni! Just got home from work, you free to call?" 

She watered the plants while waiting a reply but time went by without a single word from Niall. She put her phone down and decided to shower, keeping her phone close and on the highest volume in case he called.

Once she was in bed she scrolled through her Instagram feed but yet, no text back from Niall.

"Babe, I'm about to go to sleep... I'm so tired and I have finals all week so call me tomorrow. Hope you had a great day and a fun show! Love you :)"

She said and waited a while to see if he'd respond but after a few minutes she saw that is was past 12 AM and decided to go to sleep.

They've only missed a few calls but luckily, both understood they were busy. 

Eva had recently been under a lot of stress and she didn't know what to do about it. She was contemplating moving back with Laura to have some companionship but she didn't want to bother a Nursing major during finals week.

Holding Niall's pillow close every night, Eva tried to quel the sadness in her that came from Niall's lacking presence.

Suddenly, she woke up to her blaring phone. She thought it was the alarm but once she picked up her phone, she saw it was a call from Niall.

"Eva? Eva! Hi, baby!" Niall yelled through the phone. Eva squinted at the brightness of her phone and distanced herself from her phone.

"Hi, Niall," She said smiling at his accent.

"Babe! Tonight's show was amazing," Niall said and Eva smiled. "The crowd was honestly probably one of the best... I even crowd surfed! Can you believe that?" He said happily.

Eva hummed in response. "Niall where are you? It's so loud..." Eva pointed out.

"The after party! We're at a club!-"

"Niall, take this with me!" She heard in the background.

"My love, it's 3 AM here. I have class tomorrow." Eva said hoping he'd hear her.

"Mate! Fuck off! You're tryna kill me? My liver can only handle so much!" 

"Fucking drink it!"

"I'll drink it for ya!" She heard Niall say.

"Good ole Nialler!" She heard Lewis yell as she heard people whistle and cheer around him.

"Buy me one, won't you?" Eva heard a woman say.

Her heart raced as she awaited his response.

"Sure, why the hell not. Next round on me!" Niall exclaimed and Eva rolled her eyes before hanging up. 

She knew Niall wouldn't notice. She silenced her phone and went back to sleep throwing Niall's pillow off the bed.

She wondered what the woman looked like and what Niall was doing. Niall and Eva have never actually been in a fight so feeling angry towards Niall was a new sensation for Eva.

She groaned and tossed in the bed before finally getting a few more hours of sleep.

Later at 6 AM, she was woken up by her actual alarm. Eva rubbed her face feeling exhausted knowing she was not well-rested. She groggily got up from her bed and into the shower.

Once she was dressed she checked her phone and saw she had one text from Niall.

"If you don't want to talk, next time I just won't call."

She scoffed.

"Please don't. I'd rather not hear you flirt and buy other women drinks. Thanks for the motivation for my tests today."

She closed her phone before heading out and getting in the Uber. She was playing a music from Coke Studios hoping to calm her nerves. She hated feeling this way towards Niall but with the time differences, it was tough catching up, not to mention discussing their issues properly.

She fixed her cap and pulled the hooodie over it. She'd rather not have to talk to any fans at the moment.

As she scrolled through the notes on her laptop she couldn't help but wonder what time Niall went to sleep and is he was okay. She took a sip of her tea and stared out the window seeing the sun begin to rise.

As she got to her class, she met a few of her classmates in a circle studying.

She sat within the circle, greeting them.

"What're you guys looking over?" She asked.

"Everything, literally only started studying last night." One boy admitted and Eva shook her head.

"You?" Another asked towards Eva.

"Oh, I've studied... enough?" She said knowing she's probably put in more effort than them.

She pulled out her notes and laptop showing them all the research she'd done over the test material.

"Eva. This is why you are not invited into our study groups... you do not share our pain!" One girl laughed. Eva began blushing.

"Oh, I struggle," Eva said reassuringly as she thought about Niall.

"Eves, can you explain his thesis? I don't know what this man is trying to say," A girl asked as she pointed to the essay included in a study guide.

"Yea, for sure," She said, and as she spoke everyone began listening intently. 

"I hope you all prepared and are not planning to memorize whatever Eva's telling you all." The professor chimed in.

The students looked at each other perplexed, wondering if what she was telling them was wrong.

"She's absolutely right in everything she's saying but it'll take a lot more than memorizing one thesis to pass this final." The professor added and Eva looked at her lap, embarrassed.

"To have the brain of a genius..." The boy in the circle said toward Eva and she shook her head.

The circle soon dispersed as the professor announced the test was being passed out.  

As Eva received her test, she tried to clear her mind while pulling her hair back in a bun and drinking the last sip of tea in her cup.

The professor stood at the front of the class and was about to start the timer when Eva's phone began to ring.

Her face turned red as she quickly searched to power it off.

It was Niall.

"A second later and I would've had to take your test away, Seevali." The professor eyed her.

Mentally, she cursed him out for he was praising her a while ago and not he was just being a dick.

"Sorry, sir... it's off now."

So much for a clear mind.

 * * *

uh uh... neil needa do betta