chapter twenty-five,

Eva had finally made it through finals week and her long-awaited special day had arrived.

Graduation.

Although Niall nor her family could be there, she knew she had her close group of friends to cheer her on. Plus she was looking forward to the fancy dinner party they had planned for afterward.

"I thought these heels would look good for graduation but I was definitely mistaken," She heard Laura complain over the phone as she showed off her heels.

"Yea, they don't match the gown or the dress, next!" Eva exclaimed quickly glancing at her phone screen as she finished her make-up.

Surprisingly she had chosen to curl her already curly hair. It was the first time she had ever attempted to do so but she was proud of her loose curls.

"Okay, I'm ready, we're on our way, Eva." Laura said and hung up.

As Laura and their friend, Micah were heading to her house she decided to text Niall. She reread the text Niall had sent her in the morning.

"Morning, my love. I'm sure you're still sleeping, but I just wanted to remind you how proud I am of you. I know it sucks Richard said I won't be there but know I'm thinking about you all the time. Congratulations, my beautiful beautiful bride! I love you tons!!!!"

 She smiled and let out a small chuckle as she thought of Niall. But soon a knock on the door brought her out from her daydream.

She quickly grabbed her cap and purse and opened the door to see Laura in her gown.

"Hello, graduate!" Laura said happily before wrapping her arms around Eva.

Eva laughed as she hugged her friend back. "Look at you! One step closer to being a registered nurse!" Eva exclaimed as she quickly locked her apartment door.

"Alrighty, let's hurry. Micah's waiting." Laura smiled before they both walked to Micah's car.

They all made their way behind the sea of UCLA graduates and sat in their respective seats. From time to time, Laura would look back at Eva and form a heart with her hands.

Laura knew Eva was upset that Niall wouldn't be able to attend and she tried to make up for it by showering her with love and affection.

With enough time and long emotional speeches, the graduation came to an end. As Eva and her group of friends left, the sky was turning a pinkish hue and Eva thought to send Niall a picture.

But still no response.

The group all got into the limousine they rented for the night and were driven to the restaurant. And it was then when Eva realized she was the only single person in the group.

Everyone else was with their significant person. Eva looked at the wine glass in front of her and quickly made friends with it, chugging it with eagerness.

It would be a long, long night.

Laura noticed Eva's discomfort and she leaned on her shoulder.

"Ya know, Niall would want you to have fun," Laura whispered softly as music and conversations filled the background.

Eva gently smiled at her friend. "I know," She whispered.

She glanced at her phone only to find her wallpaper staring back at her. Without notifications.

She sighed as she tossed her phone into her purse and sipped on her full glass.

Eva felt as though time was purposefully passing by as slowly as possible to make her distance from Niall even more unbearable.

A sense of relief soared through her when she saw Laura getting up.

"You guys be safe, don't drink too much!" Laura warned as she extended her hand to Eva, signaling they were about to leave.

But Eva's torment wasn't over yet. She sat in the back seat of the car while Micah and Laura rode up in the front, holding hands.

Eva rolled her eyes at the gesture and looked to see if Niall had texted her but there were no messages. There was a sudden pang of hurt in her chest.

"Eva, you're home," Laura announced softly as she saw her gloomy friend.

Eva simply nodded before getting out of the car. "Thanks, guys, goodnight." She said softly before sulking into the tall building.

She dreaded the thought of walking into the dark apartment only to be alone again. Her eyes began to water as she unlocked the door.

As Eva wiped her tears, she looked up to see the apartment was filled with warm light and candles. Balloons sparsely surrounding a banner that read, "Congratulations!"

Nothing could stop her tears as she saw her fiance, standing in their living room, holding flowers and smiling widely.

Eva broke into a smile and ran towards Niall, hugging him tightly. Niall chuckled before tossing the flowers and catching Eva in his arms and spinning her around. The smell of her hair filling him with relief.

"Why're you crying, my love?" Niall asked, tears filling his own eyes.

Eva stepped back and gazed at Niall's face. Tears ran down Eva's face as her fingers caressed his stubbly cheek.

"You're just," She stopped before hugging him again, her eyes closing tightly. "You're just really here."

Niall chuckled as he rubbed her back. "I missed you, too baby." He spoke as he kissed the side of her face.

As they pulled apart, Niall grabbed Eva's face and brought their lips together. All their doubts vanished and they suddenly felt grounded. 

A warmth grew in their chests that increased their desperation for one another. His hands clung to her waist while her hands rested on his chest. 

As Eva pulled back, she rested her nose on Niall's and looked into his eyes. The sharp blue eyes captivated her own and overwhelmed her with emotions she could not describe.

Niall glanced over to the neatly plated dinner causing Eva to follow suit. They looked back at each other and Niall grinned.

"Forget dinner."

* * *

petit update :)