Chapter 7 -- New Family Member

7. July 2020

***

Tuesday, three days since the egg festival was, and I've been avoiding Abigail the best I could. I'm probably really lucky that she hasn't came and hunted me down, 'cause that wouldn't be nice. At least not for me. But, that hadn't stopped me from wearing the straw hat, nothing can stop me.

I took the watering can from the stairs and- Hey, all my crop's all grown! I don't need to water them! I threw the can back to the stairs and started to harvest them. It took nearly an hour before I had gotten all of them ready to sell, I'll keep few too, just in case. I put them in the backpack and started to head out-

Okay, I'll sell them to Pierre later today. Marnie's coming this direction and I think she's here to talk to me. Why does she have a dog with her?

"Hello Ciara! You see this dog here?" She said, pointing at the dog next to her.

"Yeah, I do. Why?"

"I found him sitting outside the entrance to your farm! I think he's a stray... poor thing."

He barked few times.

"Hey, he seems to like this place! Hey, um... Don't you think this farm could use a good dog?"

"Yeah... I think so. Does he have a name?" I absolutely love dogs, but because of our situation at home, I was never able to get one.

"No, but you could name him yourself" Name him?? I absolutely suck at names! I've never even named anyone, or anything. What could be his name? He looks like he could be a hovaward and aren't they quite protective. Zeus? No, maybe not. Hero? Umm.. no. Captain? Yeah, Captain!

"I'll name him Captain"

"Well, Captain... Be a good boy now.. okay? I'll be going now, good luck with your new little family member!" She said as she headed out of the farm.

"So, hello Captain. I'm Ciara, and this is your new home now." I told him, when Marnie was out of sight. "You can tumble around freely, but remember to come inside before the sun sets, okay?" He barked as a response and ran to explore the area. Adorable.

What was I going to do today? Oh yeah! The store! "I'll be gone for a while! Don't do anything stupid in the meantime!" I called out as I left to the Pierre's.

*

"Hey Pierre! Guess what I've got!" I called as I came inside to the store. I emptied the backpack to the counter and watched as Pierre counted them in awe. "Exactly 12 great parsnips, I'll by them for 486g"

"Deal"

I bought more seeds and left. Wait, Captain needs to eat something. "Pierre! Do you sell any dog food? I'll buy one blanket, too!"

"Dog food? Why didn't you tell me you've bought a dog?" Someone asked. Penny! "Yeah, It actually was kind of a surprise. Marnie bought him to my farm this morning. Wanna come see him?" I asked as I payed for the purchases. She said that she would love to and we headed to the farm.

"Hey, Captain! I'm back! See what I bought for you!" I called out and shook the food packet. He came running through a bush, barking excitedly.

"Awe, he's adorable!"

"Told ya. Hey, wanna stay over? I think I have a mattress somewhere inside"

"Sure, why not"

*

Inside the cottage, I put the old TV on, it's surprising that I had gotten it even work. It probably would be clever to buy a new one - this one barely stays together. Put it play something more interesting than the weather report and went to look for the mattress.

"You have a fishing rod?" Penny suddenly asked, watching an old bamboo pole that stood leaning on a wall.

"Yeah, I got it from Willy few days ago, I just have no idea how to fish.. I thought that I could try and learn it someday" I told, now trying to find some sheets.

Someone barked and scrabbled the door few times, after I had gotten the bed ready. "That's probably Captain" I said and opened the door. He barked once to me and ran straight to Penny, laying down next to her.

"Looks like he likes you" I laughed as he started to lick Penny's face. I took an apple and threw it to her, "Catch!" She caught it and took a bite of it. I took one for myself too and sat next to her. There was a football game going on with two Zuzu city's teams.

"What kind of festivals do you guys have? I mean, you said last time when you told me about the Egg Festival, that you have few festivals in every season"

"Oh yeah! The next one is the Flower Dance, and it's held in the 24th day, so just a bit over a week. What I don't so much like, is that we're forced to wear white dresses and dance in front of everyone. It's shameful, but thankfully only once in a year" She explained.

She said that in Summer, there is Luau, which is a held on the beach, and the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies when everyone gathers to watch glowing squids.

In Autumn, there's Stardew Valley Fair, there will be tourists and games, and Spirit's eve, which is kind of a Halloween themed festival.

And lastly, in Winter. There's a festival of ice, where's an ice sculpture competition and then; the Feast of the Winter Star, which is held at the Christmas eve.

"And that's about everything"

"Two in a month! The first and only festival I've ever been or at least remember was the Egg Festival, and that was only few days ago!"

"Yeah, at least you can't get bored in this town" Penny shrugged.

The game on the TV had ended and it's now only running ads. I closed it. "Are you hungry? I could get you another apple" She said yes, and I threw her an apple again. I put a bowl on the ground and filled it with the dog food that I had bought earlier. "Cap! Eat up"

"I think we should go to sleep, it's probably over 12 am" Penny said, as we both watched Captain munched his food. "Yeah, good night" I answered and put the blanket for Captain and went to bed. "Night"

***