Chapter 9 -- The Flower Dance

9. July 2020

***

I had promised to help Penny to get ready for the Flower Dance, and we would be going there together. She said she'll come shortly after 8 am so we would have about an hour before it starts. I brushed my hair and changed into a light blue strapless shirt and a pair of white trousers. I don't own any dresses so this has to do.

Penny came about 10 minutes later, and I started to do her make up. She had already changed into an airy white dress and put her hair up into a bun. When I got it done, I went to the hair. Well, I didn't change anything much, but I did put few flowers as a decoration.

"Penny you look amazing!"

I quickly did my make up too, and I think it showed up pretty well. I even drew few blue flowers on the corners of my eyes. I fed Captain and we left towards the town square. I know there's a pathway directly to the forest, but I haven't cleared it out yet. And navigating through bushes and rocks with a dress is probably a nightmare.

Even tho we managed to pass the nightmare at the farm, we still had to go to the festival area, that was located in the middle of the forest, how great. When we finally arrived there, there was a small bridge, that led to another cliff that stood a couple of feet away. Penny went first - mostly because I didn't trust the bridge - and I followed kindly after her. The place was located near a pretty lake and just like last time, everyone was already there. I should really take and come earlier to places.

The place was decorated with unbelievable amount of all kind of flowers. Pierre was selling flowers for different seasons and months, there's even a recipe for one of the flower designs. There was a huge table full of food, just like last time. And behind it, stood a frowning trio, their faces looked ridiculous. But who am I to blame, I think I would look even worse if I had to join. It was even funnier, 'cause no one had told me that boys had to dress up into a bright glue suits. They - if someone - looked ridiculous.

"I'll go to chat with Maru, see ya"

"See ya"

So, now I'm alone. Great. I'll just go laugh at the trio, 'cause why not.

"Hi guys, how's it going? Love your outfit, by the way" I said, failing to hide my grin.

"Don't even start, I admit that I really like these flowers, but I absolutely hate dancing. And I'll burn this suit the second I get a chance" Sam frowned.

"Hate is a strong word my boy, and it can't be that bad"

"Those are some brave words from someone who's not even going to participate!"

"Why do you then do that?"

"Mom" They all said in unison.

"You guys have to have partners? At least that's what I've told"

"Yeah, unfortunately. I'm dancing with Penny and Seb and Abby dance together, like every year" Sam told and Sebastian frowned a bit, but it changed back to normal so quickly that I was probably just imagining things.

*

I stood between few flowerpots, and watched, as they took their places and waited for the music to start. They were gathered on a grass field, that was now surrounded by parents and town's people. Sam was like he said, with Penny, Emily was with the grumpy guy - I'm surprised that he's actually going to dance - Leah was with Elliot, and then there was two other pairs, who I haven't met, but I've seen their faces around. And then lastly; Abigail, with Sebastian.

Is it wrong, that I don't like them together? Yes, yes it is. What's wrong with me? I've known them nearly for a season, and they probably hate me all three. I've never had any friends, why would that change? Penny is there, of course. But could she leave me like everyone else did?

The music started and they started dancing. Left, then right, left, and then back right. Sam and Penny looked pretty nervous, one Blondie looked kinda pleased dancing with a muscular guy. The grumpy guy looked like he would do anything to get out of there, and I don't blame him. I would probably look just like him, maybe even worse if I had to go there.

*

"Now, it's time to announce this year's Flower Queen" Lewis called out after the dance.

"What's a Flower Queen?"

"Haley get's to be that every year" Abigail frowned.

"Every year, the girl that has done the best, will be crowned to be the Flower Queen. And she get's to wear a huge flower crown, of course"

"That's so unfair. They can't do that" Sam just shrugged at that.

"Looks like they can, and they absolutely will. They have done it for centuries" Great.

"Haley!" Lewis finally called, and the townspeople started to clap and cheer happily. Like they actually were happy, pah. I bet at least half of them is jealous head over heels for her. The Blondie came to Lewis, and he placed the flower crown on her head. She then turned to smile at the others.

*

After most of the townspeople had left, I went to talk to Lewis.

"Isn't that kinda stupid to crown someone? I mean, boys have no chance to get crowned, and then out of six girls only one gets crowned by 'being the best'" Lewis looked a bit taken aback. I guess no one's ever 'insulted' or even questioned the methods of the festivals. However, he didn't get a chance to answer, 'cause a high pitched voice behind me did it for him.

"You're just jealous that you didn't get to join, nor even reach to my level" Blondie.

"That I didn't join or want to totter around like you did, doesn't mean I'm jealous"

"How dare you! Oh wait, you're the new farmer girl or whatever. Aren't you? That would explain the lack of style that you have. Pity, if it weren't for those horrendous clothes you might actually be pretty... Actually, nevermind"

"Nothing can fix that face" She murmured. I don't know if it was for me to hear, but ouch. Is there really something wrong with me? At least everyone seems to be talking about it. Is there something that I can't see?

Nothing can fix that face.

***