Chapter 6 -- Festivals

9. September 2020

***

Turns out I suck at pool. I lost to Sam and even tho they said it was impossible.

Well, apparently it's not. Guess why? I freaking lost!

Or he just cheated.

Yep, that's what happened.

*

I just stared blankly at the colourful peace of cloth that was laying on the kitchen table. It was made out of one of the dresses Pierre sold in his store. I don't really wear dresses and had decided to try and modify it a little bit.

By 'a little bit' means cutting it to pieces and somehow managing to turn them into a pair of trousers.

I touched the edge of the silk and examined it. Would it be good enough to wear?

It had few huge white flowers with light pink centers, all were placed on a forest green base with same coloured leaves.

I put on an airy white t-shirt and the trousers from the table. They did fit together much better than I had expected. I took a pair of black shoes that were easy enough to put on and off.

Today's the 'Egg festival' or so I've told. Apparently people gather to the town square and have fun together. It's so important that I even got a letter about it from Lewis. It didn't tell much, just the time when it starts and ends.

That's a perfect translate to 'I don't care, just be there on time and you'll be fine'.

At least I can do that. Not sure about that last part, but I'll do my best.

The town square was full of the townspeople, Gus had even bought few buffet tables. They were decorated with pink tablecloth and many, many colored eggs.

Around the area were many pretty baskets filled with colourful eggs and balloons, and they had even placed a body-sized bunny figure in the middle of everything.

June would absolutely love this. Since the festival is annual, I could maybe bring her here some year.

"Ciara! Cia, over here!" Someone called. Sam.

"You're here!" Sam sniffed, but looked really excited. So did Abigail, but without red eyes. Sebastian just looked more bored than ever.

"Of course I am"

I asked them about the festival, and apparently it's a huge tradition which has been going on for years. The highlight of the whole event is called 'The egg hunt', where you have to find as much decorated eggs that the townspeople have hidden as possible. The one who manages to gather most, wins.

*

About an hour goes by, and Lewis finally calls out for everyone's attention.

Everyone who wanted to be part of the hunt had to get in line. I quickly made my way behind Abigail, who had apparently decided to join, too. Each of us were handed a small straw basket

"Now, everyone ready?" Lewis asked and gave us an excited smirk."Let the Egg Hunt..."

"Begin!"

*

Everyone was off, running each to different directions. All the kindness was gone, every nice thought had turned upside down. Everyone wanted to win.

I wanted to win.

I could taste blood in my mouth as I ran, picking up every colourful thing I saw, and so did everyone else.

The time unfortunately went way too quickly, and Lewis quickly called us to come back to the same place where we left.

"Wow, look at all these eggs!" Lewis laughed as we put our baskets down."This year's winner will be hard to pick" He counted them one by one and then went to announce the winner.

Finally.

"The winner of this year's egg hunt is..."

*

"Cia!"

That went well. Getting immediately caught.

And I thought no one would come to look for me from the forest.

"There you are" Emily shouted, running at my hiding spot. She crawled into the same hole I was sitting, and bent down next to me. "Why did you run away like that?"

"Isn't that obvious?"

"Cia, you freaking won!" She said, throwing her hands in the air. "And besides, That straw hat definitely suits you well"

"That's not the problem!" I argued. "Did you even see her face? How could I've known that she's been counting some winning streaks?"

"She will literally kill me next time she sees me"

"No, she's not. She's maybe going to hate you a bit but-" Emily tried to argue.

"A bit?"

"Yeah. A lot"

***

Re-writed