Chapter 8 -- I Hate Sam

8. July 2020

***

Here I am, how did this even happen? I found myself from the mines... again. I swore that I'll never go there but.. Maybe I won't lose my eyes like Marlon did. At least I hope so. Level 14! I'll go few levels deeper and I'll then get out.

I checked the time, and it was 2.32 pm. So I've been here for about 6 and a half of an hour, and this is exhausting. My backpack was quickly getting full of all the ores I've been collecting, and I had found a pair of leather boots from one level, and they took up most of the space. They were in a chest that sat in an empty floor, which was kinda weird.

I killed few slimes, and when I finally reached to level 16, I gave up and left. I had noticed, that there's an elevator at every fifth floor, so I'll need to climb only one ladder. Which is good, since I don't really trust their ability to be used. Not that I trust the elevator more, I actually don't. I just won't see all the way down from there.

It's actually quite nice to finally breath clear air after spending so many hours under ground. I headed home and again, had to drag the sword with me. When I got to the Cottage, I put the ores to a chest I had built this morning and went inside to change into some cleaner clothes. I threw my overalls to the corner and put on a plain white shirt and a pair of light jeans.

There was a knock on the door. Captain? He can't knock doors.. I don't remember that I had agreed to meet anyone today, but.. Who is it? I opened the door, and met a blond, blue eyed boy. "Sam! Hey! What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Cira! I thought that I could come and get you to Abby's place, we're going to hang out there with Seb"

"Why do you need me then?" The last thing I could want right now, is to go there. She's going to kill me. If not physically, then mentally.

"You're part of our group, that's why" He said, taking my hand and heading towards the entrance.

"Wait, since when?"

"Since you were born"

He basically had to half drag me, half carry me there. He whined the whole way about how heavy I was, but he deserved it.

We got to the Pierre's and the place was nearly full of people, Pierre had his hands full of work and tried to do even more. Sam was heading towards a door, when Pierre noticed us; "Hey, Ciara! Could you help me a bit with this?" He asked, carrying a few too many boxes of apples.

"I'll go to Abby's room already, just go to the first room after that door" He said, pointing at a door, that probably led to Pierre's home. He left, and I went to take the boxes from Pierre and put them to their own section. Pierre thanked me, and gave me one of the apples as a thanks for the help.

I went inside from the first door, and then was about to go through the second one, that I at least think is Abigail's room. But I stopped when I heard someone talking there.

"Ugh, why did you have to invite her here? Have you even seen her face?" My face? Is there something wrong with it?

"Abby! Don't say that! She's our friend and part of the group"

"Yeah, she's your friend, to me, she's only a problem. And I bet Sebastian agrees with me, don't you Sebby?" Someone mumbled an answer that I couldn't hear properly. I really shouldn't be eavesdropping people, but can you blame me?

I went in and Abigail looked at me with an odd expression, which looked alarmingly like a frown. Sam's face other way around lit up and gestured me to sit next to him. He told that they were playing video games, and that he would be playing in next round.

They played for few hours and I just sat there kindly and watched them play. Sam lost, like always. Poor him. He was just about to throw the console through the wall, when Abigail got a genius idea - note my sarcasm - that we could try to play spiritism. I'm so not going to play that. Nope. Nothing can change my mind.

*

I hate Sam.

They had put the lights out and the only light was few candles that they had found from one cabinet. This is creepy. We sat in a circle around a board, that had all letters from A to Z, and at it's upper corners were words yes, and no. Under the alphabets, there were numbers from 0 to 9, and under it, was two words; hello, and goodbye. I don't want to play this. Each of us had one hand on a planchette that's supposed to move by the spirits.

Abigail mumbled something, and shortly after that, it started moving. It stopped, when it reached to the word Hello. I took my hand off. They glanced quickly at me, but went back to the game. Their faces were a bit questioning, but Sebastian's expression looked a bit more worried than that. Was he worried about me?

Abigail started: "Is there anyone?"

Yes.

"Did you ever live on earth as a human?"

Yes.

"Are you an angel?" No, nononononono

Yes.

"Are you good?"

Yes.

Abigail was just about to ask another question, when the planchette started to move. First right, then left. It slowly moved in a fallen eight looking road, not stopping for anything. Wait.

Nope. I'm out. I'm not that stupid not to know that that's not supposed to happen and I totally don't wanna die for a invisible dead "creature". There's no way I'm staying here.

I stood up and left the room, I hate spiritism, why didn't I refuse?! Oh yeah, Sam. I breathed once in, and out. The lights were on again in the room, and they were talking, and of course - I just had to hear what they were talking about.

"Genius! Now you scared her to death!"

"Well, It's not my problem that she's so pathetically sensitive! And besides that, you were the one who talked her over!"

"Stop, just.. stop. You two are fighting like an old couple! You can continue that, but I'm just not going to listen it one more second" A bit darker voice said. Went few seconds, and the door opened and I came face to face with Sebastian.

He closed the door and looked as surprised as I probably looked. It looked like he hesitated for a moment, but then shook slightly his head and walked out. I followed him out. It had apparently started raining while we were inside. When I got to the rain, he had already disappeared into the darkness.

***