chapter thirty two

Harry

     My eyes were glued to my black Vans as I paced the small room. My thoughts were running wild, wanting nothing more than for Blue to wake up. The monitor she was hooked up to lightly beeped every few minutes, only adding to my anxious state. The doctor said she had a large vertical cut between her breasts that required 25 stitches and a slight concussion but none of us knew why.

     "Harry, if you do not sit your ass in this chair right now, I will make sure you end up in a hospital bed too," My eyes met Josie's, not wasting a second in plopping down in the chair next to her. She was understandably pissed at me. I could tell by her lack of words and continuous glare that she was waiting for the moment we were out of the hospital to properly scream at me.

     "Look, Jos I'm sorr-"

     "Harry, I don't want to hear that you're sorry," She held up her hand, sighing, "What happened tonight, whatever it may have been, wasn't necessarily your fault but since Indi had arrived at my place, she's been in the hospital a total of two times in incidents relating to you. I am so enraged at the fact that all I asked of you was to get her back to the hotel safely and you couldn't even manage that. I know she was drunk and that's on her, but you don't let your friends get fucking stabbed or whatever happened to her." She wouldn't even look at me, her eyes solely focused on her friend who lay in a hospital bed because I let her leave in her vulnerable state. I blamed myself as much as Josie did in this moment.

     "And, although it's not really my business, if you don't feel the same way about her, you need to tell her that because clearly these feelings are eating her up. I've never seen Indi even have the courage to tell any guy she liked them and she managed to tell you. It's not your fault if your feelings aren't reciprocated and she won't hold that against you, but don't you dare jump into this if you're not all in. She's been through enough and I don't think she could handle another heartbreak." Her eyes finally met mine, tears silently slipping down her cheeks.

     "I like her too, Jos. I didn't have the chance to tell her because I was too dumbfounded by the fact that she actually had feelings for me," I was expecting a look of shock from her at my confession but her expression never changed, "I think I knew deep down I liked her but after everything with Kennedy, I was scared so I pushed the feelings aside and enjoyed our friendship. I've never wanted to be around someone as much as I want to be around her. She brings such laughter and light into my life, something I've never experienced in previous relationships. She's quirky and has such weird food preferences like pickle pizza or putting sugar on fruit when it's bitter to make it sweeter. She has a playlist for every mood and cracks awful jokes at the worst times just to make me laugh." I could tell Josie was trying to hold back a smile, her anger slowly melting away at my words.

     "I look forward to Sundays because I start my day with her watching the sunrise and listening to how she interprets each one even though they all look the same to me. The girl can get lost in any book to the point where she blocks out everything around her, only moving slightly when her body gets stiff from sitting so long. She's not the best singer but it never stops her from belting out every lyric to every song. Also, have you seen her drawings? Well of course you have, she's so talented. She opened up to me right away, never once being scared to show me the person she truly was. She's nothing like the girls I've dated and I know that secretly bothers her but she's so beautiful the way she is, inside and out. I am so awful at admitting my feelings so I have no idea how I'll tell her this but, I want to eventually," I sighed as I finished getting out all of the words I should have said instead of letting Blue run out of there thinking I didn't feel the same way about her.

     I looked up at Josie, noticing more tears in her eyes as she smiled at me. She wiped away a tear that spilled down her cheek before nodding her head towards the hospital bed. I looked over, noticing a similar expression on Blue's face.

     "I think you just told her everything so no need to remember it later," She winked at me, leaning forward to give my hand a squeeze before moving towards Blue. I felt a heat creep along my cheeks as I followed Josie, sitting on the opposite side of the bed and grabbing Blue's hand.

     "Why couldn't you have just told me all that before I went and almost got murdered in an alley?" My eyes widened, heart dropping into my stomach as I looked between her and Josie. Josie's expression mirrored mine, both of us waiting for an explanation, "It was my fault. I drunkenly went to go find Josie for her room key and ran into a creep. He slipped me into an alley, slammed my head into a wall and pulled a knife on me. He threatened me, saying if I screamed, he'd kill me. I heard Harry's voice and took this as an opportunity to knee him in the balls and run. I guess he must have sliced my chest open when he fell as that's where he had the knife last."

     My blood was boiling in my veins. I should never have let her leave. She could have died and it would have been my fault. I knew by Josie's glare returning, she was once again pissed at me. I was going to have to eat a million pickle pizzas for her forgiveness.

     "First of all, this was NOT your fault. Second, you have to file a report. Once you're feeling better of course. You've got a concussion and 25 stitches in your chest. You're going to have a super cool scar that you can make up a million stories about," Josie joked, her voice cracking slightly. Blue smiled at me, squeezing her hand and laughing, "I'm just so glad you're okay."

     "Me too," Blue's doe eyes met mine, her smile never fading as she squeezed my hand, "I never should have let you leave, Blue." I leaned down to kiss her forehead.

     "I shouldn't have gotten drunk or ran off so please don't blame yourself," Josie huffed slightly at this, making Blue give her a look, "And you don't go blaming Harry either. This is my fault and I'm so sorry for ruining the amazing Fourth of July weekend we were supposed to have."

     "Indi, you did not ruin the weekend, so don't even start with that. We'll see how things are tomorrow or I guess later today considering it's four am, but we will revive the weekend one way or another," Josie gave her one last smile before telling us she was going to get the nurse.

     "I know that you said it wasn't my fault but I'm still sorry, love. Josie's right, we'll still make this a great weekend and as soon as you're feeling up for it, we'll have an actual talk about, uhm, all of the things we've both said in the past 24 hours." She gave me the sweetest smile, squeezing my hand.

     "Sounds like a plan. I need to fully recover before I have to get drunk and storm out of a hotel room again." I rolled my eyes at her joke before both of us broke out in a small fit of laughter.

////////

again, not sure about this chapter but the next two will be important 🙃