chapter fifty four

Indigo

*Two months later*

     "Baby, I got your coffee. You ready to watch the sunrise?" I felt Harry's soft lips press against my forehead, his hand moving up and down on my arm. I took in a deep breath, rolling over as I lifted my arms up by my head to stretch. I slowly opened on eye, seeing Harry standing at the side of the bed, two cups of coffee in his hands and a large smile taking up his face. I couldn't help the small smile creeping along my lips as I sat up, closing both eyes as I lifted my arms above my head, still not fully awake.

Harry chuckled as I heard him set the coffee cups on the side table before lifting me into his arms. My arms wrapped around his neck as I nuzzled my face into the crook of it with a hum. He carried me out of the bedroom and through the house until I heard the screen door open and the chill of the morning air hit my bare legs. Goosebumps crept along my skin, making me shiver. Harry set me down in one of the chairs at the outside table, telling me he'd be right back.

I slowly opened my eyes, seeing the sliver of the sun just above the horizon. I pulled my legs up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them as I placed my chin on my knees. A loud yawn left my lips, the little sleep I'd gotten evident as I rubbed my tired eyes. Harry and I had stayed up way too late playing endless amount of board games with Josie and Lucas. Harry was bound and determined to win one and wouldn't leave until he did. I think we got home around 2am as he had carried me to bed after falling asleep in the car.

     The sound of the screen door opening stole my attention as I watched Harry come out with the two cups of coffee and my favorite blanket. I held my hands that were tucked away in my sweatshirt out for the warm morning juice, needing it to fully wake up. He smiled at me as he placed the cup of coffee and my glasses in my hands, a small sigh leaving my lips as I took a sip and slipped on my glasses. Harry instructed for me to follow him to the steps, taking a seat on the top one and holding the blanket out for me.

     I yawned, making my way over to the warmth of him and the blanket as I took a seat on the step below him. I leaned back into him as he wrapped us both in the fabric, setting his chin on the top of my head with a satisfied hum. My eyes were fixed on the ocean, watching the waves creep up the shore, splashing lightly. The sun was almost completely above the horizon now, pastel pinks and oranges painting the sky around it.

The past two months have been nothing short of amazing. Harry and I still followed our regular schedule but he made sure to make some of them actual date nights rather than us just driving around the streets of Malibu in Poppy, although we still did that as well. Most of my time was spent at Harry's but Josie and I were sure to set aside time for each other each week. She and Lucas had gotten pretty serious so he spent most nights at the house.

My nightmares had stopped for the most part, my dreams filled with the happy memories of Skye now instead. I still woke up crying every once in awhile but never in the panic I had been in before. My trip home to Tennessee made me realize that I needed to let go of the idea of being able to save Skye. What he did wasn't anyone's fault and I was content with the idea that he was finally at peace with himself. That didn't mean I didn't miss him deeply though.

The hole in my chest had become somewhat healed with the love and affection I'd received from both Harry, Josie, and everyone in our friend group. I'd finally told the rest of the group about Skye but sticking to the good memories and not going into details as I'd done with Harry. All of them expressed their sympathies but were genuinely surprised with how well I held myself after it all. If only they'd known just how difficult the road to recovery was for me.