chapter thirty seven

Indigo

My hands were shaking as I finished swiping on mascara, willing myself to just breathe. Tonight was the night: I was going on an official date with Harry Styles. My nerves were getting the best of me the whole time I got ready, making me question every outfit and make up choice. I couldn't tell you why I was so nervous, Harry and I had been on millions of dates just without the actual title. Hell, we've slept in the same bed together more times than I could count on one hand.

We'd gotten home about mid day yesterday, Harry and I taking turns napping most of the plan ride home. The weekend was eventful to say the least, but overall I was glad to be back in sunny Malibu. Harry dropped me off at Josie's after we left the airport, telling me he'd see me tomorrow. I barely slept, tossing and turning the whole night as my mind ran wild. Harry wouldn't tell me where we were going, just telling me to dress casually.

     "How's my nervous wreck of a friend doing?" I heard Josie shout from somewhere in the house. I bit the inside of my cheek as my eyes met my reflection.

     After very considerable consideration, I'd decided on wearing a pair of jean overalls with a cropped yellow t-shirt underneath. I layered a few necklaces on top of the plain tee and threw my dark hair in a messy bun. I completed the outfit with a colorful headband, pulling a few strands from it to frame my face and slide into my Birkenstock's. I put on very light make up as I was worried I'd sweat it off with worry anyways.

     With one last reassuring nod to myself, I left the bathroom and made my way into my now disastrous room

     With one last reassuring nod to myself, I left the bathroom and made my way into my now disastrous room. I moved around quickly, picking up the many discarded outfits, shoving them in random drawers. Just as I threw the last shirt in the bottom drawer, my eyes flickered to the envelope I kept in the back. Originally, it was in the bottom of my suitcase but I hid it my bottom drawer when I had unpacked.

     My name was faded, the envelope wrinkled and a little yellowed from the travel. You could still see a few tear stains from when I had sat on my bed, willing myself to open it but ultimately deciding I didn't deserve to know. Skye had distinct handwriting, everything always in capital letters. The possibility of getting somewhat of an answer was tempting but after my adventures with Harry, the letter seemed to have slipped to the back of my mind. I hoped one day I'd forgive myself so I could open it.

     "Indi, you alive in there?" I heard Josie's feet padding along the hardwood floor, the sound stopping in front of my room. I slammed the drawer shut, trying to shake the sad thoughts from my mind. Today was supposed to be a good day and I wasn't going to let the ache in my heart ruin it. Skye would have wanted me to be happy.

     "Here," I fake saluted her, standing at attention abruptly. She rolled her eyes at this, looking me up and down before twirling her finger as a motion for me to spin for her. I did as commanded, earning a smile.

     "Beautiful as always. You ready for this?" I shrugged, gathering up the few items I'd thrown on my bed to put in my purse. Josie slipped into the room, falling backwards onto the bed.

"As ready as I'll ever be. I just hate that he made it a surprise, he knows I hate surprises." I fell back on the bed beside Josie, both of us staring at the ceiling.

"He's definitely a romantic although he wasn't really the dating type until Kennedy and I think she pressured him into the title for her image." Josie scoffed, folding her hands over her stomach. My mind went wild with this information.

The part about Harry not being the dating type didn't phase me. I knew that was his reputation before Kennedy, he never once tried to deny that fact. What really worried me was if he could give me that label or if he wanted to or if I wanted it. I did want it, didn't I?

Harry was like no guy I'd ever met back home and not just because he didn't wear cowboy boots and have a twangy accent. Harry was intelligent and thoughtful. He wore many questionable clothing items, ones you'd assume were meant for women, and painted his nails from time to time with help from me. He wasn't opposed to face masks or carrying my purse on the street. He got a few stares and I'd heard a few whispers but not once did he ever seem phased by them. I think his confidence was one of his best qualities. I have always let what others think of me effect everything I did or said. I wished I could be more like Harry and just not give a fuck while owning it.

"Indigo, you in there?" Josie was tapping my forehead, pulling me from my thoughts. She lay above me with, eyes narrowed as if she were trying to read my thoughts. I swatted her hand away, both of us sitting up with a laugh.

"You think Harry's nervous too?" She nodded, a smile on her face.

"Most definitely, babe. He has a hard time expressing his feelings. I bet he's quaking in his Chelsea boots," She looked over at the clock, my eyes following hers and seeing that Harry would be here any moment. My heart shot up to my throat as I rubbed my sweaty palms on my thighs, "I'll bet you five bucks he's outside right now pacing in front of the door and giving himself a pep talk on how not to fuck this up." I laughed at the thought of this, knowing it was probably true.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang. Both Josie and I's wide eyes met, hers with excitement and mine with worry. I started getting up but Josie's hand stopped me as she gave me one of her famous Josie looks. I raised a brow, confused on why she wouldn't let me go get the door.

"Gotta build the suspense, girl. I'm getting the door, you count to ten and then come out." She hopped off the bed, giving me one last look as if to tell me to stay put before leaving the room.

     I sat on the bed, taking deep breaths and reminding myself that it was just Harry and tonight would be just like any other night we'd spent together.....just maybe with kissing. The thought only made my heart rate go up. Not in a bad way, just in a nervous way. My anxiety always got the best of me on previous dates and I'd sit there and talk myself out of going to each one. Harry was different though and I knew that I'd be safe in his company. When I was sure that I'd counted to well over ten, I pushed myself off the bed and followed the voices into the living room.

/////////

cliffhanger??? it's something. next chapter will be better!