chapter forty one

Indigo

     "IS THAT MY VERY BEST FRIEND WALKING THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR!" Josie shouted from somewhere in the house the moment I opened the door. I shut it quietly, hearing her running down the hall. Her socked feet were the first thing to come into view as she slid along the hardwood floor, practically crashing into me to stop her from falling.

     "Yes it is your best friend, one you almost ran over there, speed racer." I laughed, letting Josie's arms go once she was steady. I picked up my bag, walking to my room with Josie pestering me about the date the whole way there. I threw my bag on the floor and fell back onto my bed as I knew Josie would soon join me.

     I told her all about the date, from start to finish, trying to leave out a few minor details about how the night ended. Josie knew me well though and could tell just by the slight hesitation in my voice that I wasn't spilling all tea. So I told her, getting too many personal questions that I didn't want to answer.

     "I can't believe you gave it up to Harry so quickly. Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?" She joked, her eyes looking over me as she pretended to not know who I was.

     "Hey now, we've technically been dating for weeks so I didn't give it up that easily...he's just a really good kisser, among other things." I argued, realizing I wasn't really helping my case. It earned a rise out of Josie though, making me groan and place my hands over my face.

     "Have you had a kick ass summer here? Besides the two hospital visits?" I looked over at her, nodding, "It's good to see you so happy, Indi. You deserve happiness, you know? I know what happened to you wasn't fair, it wasn't fair to any of us that loved him but it was especially cruel to you. I don't doubt though for one second that Skye didn't love you with all his heart," Her eyes were becoming glassy as well as mine now, both of us sniffling, "I'm sorry, I know you didn't want to talk about him." She waved it off, wiping beneath her eyes.

     "Jos, what did his letter to you say?" She looked over at me, a surprised look on her features as she swallowed before looking back up at the ceiling.

     "He told me things that led to the event. He told me he loved me and to look after you because you were going to need someone there for you." I watched a tear fall down the side of her cheek, her eyes still focused on the ceiling, "He knew you wouldn't read your letter and that you'd blame yourself for his death. He wanted me to remind you of the good things in life every day and to make sure you ended up happy." I reached my hand out, grabbing hers as more tears slipped down her cheeks, "That's why I was always so hard on Harry. I needed to make sure he'd be good for you because I didn't want to let Skye down."

     Josie finally turned to look at me, wiping at her eyes. Hot tears ran down my cheeks as well, slipping down the side of my nose and landing on the orange comforter. I squeezed her hand as both of us started crying harder, finally going through this hurt together. I knew that Josie loved Skye and his death hurt her as well but we'd never healed together, never talked about it because I didn't want to.

     "Jos, I'm sorry for being so selfish. I should have talked with you about it. I know he meant a lot to you too," She shook her head, telling me I had nothing to apologize for, "I still have nightmares. I had one last night and Harry suggested I read the letter to maybe get some closure....I'm just scared and maybe I'm not ready to completely say goodbye yet..." My voice was shaking, more tears running down my face as I thought about reading the letter.

"Hey, whenever you decide to read that letter, whether it be today or tomorrow or even years from now, I'll be here. Ready to pick up the broken pieces again because that's what friends are for." I nodded, squeezing her hand once more before I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down.

"I love you, Jos." I stated after a few beats of silence, turning my head to face her again. She smiled at me, ruffling my hair.

"I love you more, Indiana Jones," She sat up, pulling me up with her, "Alright, no more crying. I only have a limited amount of days with you left and I'm not going to spend them blubbering like a baby," She paused, looking at me with her brows scrunched together, "Are you and Harry going to do long distance or is this just a summer thing? I mean he asked you to be his girlfriend and that's a serious commitment."

I'd been thinking about this decision for awhile now, especially after Harry and I became close. The idea of leaving all of my friends here to go back to my hometown that only brought me sadness, knowing my brother wouldn't be waiting at the door for me, sounded rather depressing. I talked to my mom daily, and occasionally my dad, so I know that the two of them were doing better on the coping front. They missed me and of course I missed them but I wasn't sure that small town in Tennessee was where I belonged anymore. My heart was set on staying in Malibu.

     "Well, I've been meaning to talk to you about that..." My voice trailed off as I watched Josie's expression change to one of confusion, "I don't think Tennessee is where I belong anymore, Jos. Especially without having Skye there to keep me sane. I miss you all the time when I'm home and I have an amazing job here and now a boyfriend so I was wondering-"

     "A MILLION TIMES YES!" I knew I didn't have to finish my sentence as with each word she'd come to understand what I was asking. I didn't think she'd have a problem with me living with her as we'd talked about living together since we were little. She threw her arms around me, bouncing us with excitement, "I was so hoping you'd ask to stay. I love having you here and being so far away from my favorite person in the world is awful. I can't have you going into a depressive hole again either and this way I can make sure that doesn't happen." I rolled my eyes at this comment even though she was right.

     "I'm happy here and my home is wherever you and Harry are." She nudged my shoulder, hopping up from the bed.

     "You're such a sap for him, it's cute though considering you've got him wrapped around your finger," She held her pointer figure up, twirling it, "Let go get ice cream to celebrate!"

     And so we did get ice cream and celebrate in the only other way we know how; belting out songs on a much needed adventurous car ride. Nothing could stop the adrenaline running through my veins now.

//////////

i love josie and indi's relationship 🥺🥺