chapter 13 ✦ papa?

I sat on a log that was in the corner of our campsite and held a knife in my hand as I grazed it against a stick to sharpen it. I glared down at it and dug my knife harder on the stick.

"May I sit here?" I slowly lifted my head to see Hook. I nodded and scooted over so he could sit down. He bent his knees and sat beside me. I focused back on my knife and started to sharpen it again. "You ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I sighed, not looking up. This guy could be my father. Why is he here anyway?

"You spoke of your mother's fate. What about your father?" He asked. I looked at him for a second and studied his eyes. They were like the ocean. Very clear but also foggy.

"He was a coward and he left me." I only said. "He was a pirate like you. That's mainly why I slaughter every pirate that sets foot on this island or any bad guy for that matter."

"I can assure you, I'm not a bad guy." Hook retorted. I shrugged.

"I'm one too if we're assigning roles. Pan is one too." I explained, chuckling at the end of the sentence.

"I can gather that you've known Pan for a long time." Hook assumed and I nodded to him.

"Even before I came here, I heard stories from my father's crew and every time I heard those stories, I told myself that no one could be that cruel. I was wrong." I explained, moving my eyes to my feet. "I was a naive child back then."

"I had a daughter once. She was only eight when I lost her." He said, sadly.

"What happened to her?" I asked, softly and carefully. He didn't say anything for a while.

"Tend your stations!" I heard yelling. I shook my head from the mysterious noise.

"She was taken in a storm." He began.

"Take cover, quickly!!" More and more shouting. Seawater rampaged into my face. I coughed. I felt a pair of hands reach under my arms and pick me up. I threw my arms around the person's neck and immediately recognized my papa. He wore his red vest and black leather trench coat.

"Come on, Riley. We have to go!" He whispered in my ear and I nodded. The sea rocked the Jolly Roger back and forth. Papa gripped me, tight as he rushed me over to the lifeboats. He climbed into one and set me down.

"Lay down in the boat, Riles." He instructed, softly. I laid on the soft blanket that was already in there. He gently covered me with the blanket and put my favorite toy next to me. He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "When the storm's over, I'll come and get you, okay?" He said. I nodded and lazily looked up at him.

"Kay papa. I love you." My little self-said. He smiled and hugged me.

"Love you too," He whispered to me. He pulled away and I gripped his sleeve in fear.

"It's going to be okay," Papa promised. I believed him and let go. He got up and ran away. I squeezed my eyes shut as the sound of thunder boomed.

"Riley?" Hook echoed. I snapped out of it and tears started to pour down my cheeks. I turned my head to him, slowly in realization. It's true.

"P-papa?" I stuttered with my voice cracking at the end. I shook my head back and forth. I'm mad. I'm crazy. His eyes widened.

"Riley." He breathed out in shock. I got up and started to run. Go faster, go faster!! I stopped and rested against the tree. I breathed, heavily.

"I was right." Pan's voice echoed over to me. I snapped my head in his direction and he was leaning against the tree that was across from me. "Prepared to thank me?"

"Fuck off, will you?" I hissed. He chuckled at my outburst before disappearing. I slid down the trunk of the tree and cried until I knew that I had to go to Pan's camp.